EXIF Metadata retained in iOS 8.1.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Razeus, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

It's been broken since 8.0, now fixed.

Before, in iOS 8 to iOS 8.1, metadata was stripped if you edited in the iOS Photos.app, or used an extension, and looked like this:

[​IMG]

Now it retains all data, making it easier to auto organize your photos via a cloud service or through your own automated workflow:

[​IMG]

2. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Finally - good spot. This is one of the last issues I had with iOS photo management.

Edit - photos that are edited are still apparently downsized, however.

3. immigrantsong macrumors member

To Razeus: What are those screens from which show the metadata for the image? Which app?

Thanks

4. macduke Suspended

macduke

It's the Metapho extension. It is excellent and you can download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metapho-manage-photo-metadata/id914457352?mt=8

To use it, click edit on an image and then click the ellipsis in the circle. You might have to click the second ellipsis "More" to add the extension to the list. From there you can easily select it.

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

I use the app called Metapho. You can also use the Camera+ app and import to see the EXIF metadata in the Info.

----------

As you see from my screenshot, there is no resizing of the photo. The 8MP dimensions are the same for both photos.

6. immigrantsong macrumors member

Thank You!

7. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Must have picked an old edit when testing... good news then!

8. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

I have tested editing a photo again using an app extension (3rd party - Pomelo and Camera+) and the size of the image is reduced with both extensions, and meta data (including location) is lost on the edited file.

It's not lost when editing using the standard tools in Photos. I used the app you suggested to test - happy to post a screenshot. The photos you posted initially, were they edited with the standard photo tools?

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If you open the photo in the 3rd party app then edit do you see the same reduction in size/quality or is this just happening when using extensions?

10. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Edited with standard Photos.app tools. I never use extensions since VSCOCam hasn't bothered with it yet. Now I see why.

11. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Bit of a pain then that it's still an issue with third party extensions then. Hope it's fixed in the future as well. At least tweaking the brightness doesn't cause this issue any more.