Existing Apple ID in iTunes w/o Credit Card.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AmbiguousNinja, Jul 10, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Hey MacRumors, I'm having a bit of trouble registering my existing Apple ID in iTunes. (I live in Canada btw) I don't have a credit card and there isn't an option for gift cards or "none." Is there a way to register for an itunes account with an existing Apple ID without a credit card? I got paypal but that seems to only work in the US. If there isn't a way, is there any way to delete my Apple ID permanently so I can create a new one that uses the same email?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't know if this is a Canada vs. U.S. thing, but I was able to convert my iTunes account to not be linked to a credit card. Not sure why they're giving you trouble about it.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try attempting to "purchase" a free item (an app, or giveaway song). See if it gives you the "None" option then. I've heard about good success with that approach.

jW

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

+1
    i was about to suggest the same thing. i have done this multiple times [mainly because i use a lot of free apps and i tell friends/family to download them too.
    i dont think that there would be a different option since you are in canada.

This should work quite well!~
    Enjoy

5. radek42 macrumors regular

A week ago I'd say +1.

Today I must say it does not work anymore. I tried my old account, I tried to set up new account. No matter how you slice it, the "none" option is not available (I tried US, Canada, and Czech republic stores). They clearly must have changed something.

On the similar account: I tried downloading my free version of Lion (bought MBP couple weeks ago to make sure I have SL as well). I can get Lion for free, but again they require CC information (balance is zero, but you cannot continue without entering all the information). I asked in the local Apple store and they verified that CC information is required. The reason is, according to genius, that they want to verify that it is real person downloading the software. Apparently they want to avoid situation that one person downloads zillion copies to sell them. I call "bull" since you have to enter s/n of the computer anyways.

Apparently, one can go apple web site afterwards to "manage your account" and delete CC information from there.

Could somebody please verify if one can indeed delete CC information from your iTunes account.

If somebody has better way of using iTune's account w/o cc I'd be very interested as well.

Cheers,
    Radek

6. navier, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

navier macrumors regular

navier

I have had something similar 2 Months ago (As I tried to change the ID-Password)

Try the following:

1.- check VISA or something similar like you would type the Credit Card Number but let it empty, than click OK...
    2.- you will be told that the fields would haven't been correctly completed...
    3.- Now, check the No-Credit-Card thing (I don't remember the exact names) and then OK
    4.- Done