Existing AT&T non-iPhone Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncfuser, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ncfuser macrumors regular

Update: We've heard conflicting tidbits about existing AT&T non-iPhone customers. To avoid confusion and delays, existing AT&T customers who do not currently own an iPhone should go an AT&T store (not an Apple Retail Store) to upgrade to the iPhone 3G.

This is total BS. Do we have any reason why this is? Don't tell me that Apple can not tell whether you are upgrade eligible. But they can tell if you are an existing AT&T iPhone user? Let face it ATT store get very few phones compared to Apple stores. So why I am I stuck waiting a week or so to get a phone just because I didn't upgrade to iPhone v1.

I hope someone finds some detailed info before Friday, or Apple will have ALOT of unhappy customers.

2. mrph0enix macrumors newbie

That concerns me because I am an existing AT&T customer w/ no iphone and I have a good amount of Apple gift cards to use so I can get the new iphone, I hope this wont be a problem...

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I have concerns about Apple being able to handle all the issues that go with instore activation. (new accounts, existing accounts, transfers from other carriers, etc.)

I think it will be quite a circus on Friday.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

How do they handle current AT&T customers who come in to buy an iPhone?
    edit: nevermind that question....forgot the current iPhone gets activated at home.

My bet is they are able to process them fine...either that or they turn them away. It's not good business practice to turn customers away, so my bet is they will have it working at the Apple store. I think all these questions have arisen as a result of people doubting how prepared Apple will be, and are not based on any facts at all. They know there will be huge demand...they know there will be transfers, existing customers, new customers, the whole boat. You really think they would let some slide like this if they make you activate a contract in store?

To me it doesn't matter because it's a shorter trip to the AT&T store. Unless you live around the corner from an Apple store chances are the same applies to you.

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

What about that discussion of them only selling at $199-$299? Maybe it's not that they can't figure out your account, but they don't want to charge more than that, so only customers who are eligible for the lowest price.

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

You could wait a week or call around to the probably 10 or so AT&T stores in your immediate area (read, within 20 driving miles or so) that probably have phones in stock. There's fewer at the AT&T stores for a reason...there's more stores to cover demand. Apple has to stock up because the ratio of AT&T to Apple stores is like 10:1. Plus you have Apple nuts who HAVE to buy Apple products at an Apple store.

7. grego33 Guest

My guess on this one is that Apple will inform you of a $200 Early Upgrade Fee that will show up on your AT&T bill. AT&T is wording it as different pricing based on whether you are upgrade eligible or not, but conceptually all it is is the 199/299 + a 200 fee wrapped up in a neat little pricing package. Probably so they don't have to use the word "fee." :)

8. KD110 macrumors member

moved as it was nt supposed to be apart of this thread - sorry