Existing Carphone Warehouse O2 Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulo999, Oct 6, 2007.

1. paulo999 macrumors member

I'm currently on O2 with Carphone Warehouse (i.e. where one is contracted to / billed by / supported by Carphone Warehouse, not O2 directly).

I've just spoken to Carphone Warehouse customer service, and according to a manager there they will be offering the same contract 'restart' option as O2 are offering to their direct customers.

i.e. For contracts with pre Sept 18th start, you can exit with no penalty and take a new 18 Month iPhone tariff.

[Note the above was in the context of being a CW-O2 customers. CW + Other Network may well not have this option, but instead have to retain & 'minimise' their existing contract + sell handset, to minimise outlay).

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The only difference is you'll have to wait 5 days to get your number transferred over to the O2 billing system, and your service will then officially just be tied through O2 rather than being with CW as it is at the moment.

-Leemo

3. paulo999 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clarifying Leemo. For me, I think I'd rather be with O2 direct, so that's fine. In the five day wait, do we get an alternative number to use?

4. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Yes they give you a temporary one

5. Hardlight macrumors newbie

Hi Paulo,

Have you had official confirmation of this? I am in exactly the same situation.

Kind Regards,

Will

6. UKLawTalkingGuy macrumors newbie

http://www.o2.co.uk/iPhone-Availability.html

then click 'existing customers'.

I have spoken to CPW and O2, both of whom confirm that pre-18 Sept customers can port without penalty. The latter also stated that this policy applies to any o2 provider, irrespective of their service provider/billing provider.

7. Pendra Mwnagl macrumors newbie

If you follow that link and click on 'new customers' it states:

"If you're an O2 customer billed by Carphone Warehouse, or you have a mobile phone with another network, you'll need to contact them to obtain a "PAC code" in order to transfer your number to your iPhone."

So I phoned CPW and asked for a PAC code (my 12 month contract is over). Spoke with two different people. Their message was that CPW will be providing a generic PAC code for customers in this situation. Need to phone them on the 9th.

Anyone else heard this? I'm getting worried about the mixed messages...

8. wavazey macrumors member

Pendra,

That is partly correct. There is a generic code but its not a PAC code its just a transfer code to transfer your number from O2 CPW to O2 direct. I have already got my transfer code. It is the same for all CPW customers. The transfer code just notifies O2 that we are all existing O2 customers but just billed by CPW.

From what i understand you just input this generic transfer code and then a prompt will appear on the activation screen to input your number that you wish to transfer.

Hope this helps

9. Pendra Mwnagl macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. Feel better that someone else is in the same boat. fingers crossed...!

10. Project macrumors 68020

This is correct.

What I want to know is, will I then become solely an O2 customer, billed by them? Or will I still be with the Carphone Warehouse?

And being a student I hope I don't fail the bloody credit check. There is no prepay option to fall back on unlike in the States.

11. wavazey macrumors member

Project,

Again from i have been told as you are transferring your number from CPW to O2. So when you take out you new tariff/contract you will be billed directly by O2 i.e. you will no longer deal with CPW.

As was also told this evening by a CPW manager that all stores are receiving handsets. With the smallest stores receiving 50 handsets and the larger stores receiving up to 200 units!!!!

Hope this has helped

P

12. bruk201ib macrumors member

bruk201ib

Welcome to the confuision!! I've just called CPW to ask about the PAC code. The first time I was told that they didn't have the PAC code yet for the iPhone, and that once they had it I would need to wait 5-7 days to receive it and then another 5-7 days to go active on my iPhone. At the end of those 5-7 days I will be a direct customer of O2 and not anymore of CPW, but in between the wait I can still use my number....

I've called ten minutes later to talk to somebody else and I was told that I don't need a PAC code but a transfer code, but they will do everything on their own, I won't be going direct to O2, I will be still billed by CPW and in the activation process I will be activated immediatly no need to wait 5 days.

UHMMMM I'm really confused!! I don't know who to believe!!

I just don't want to buy an iPhone and then get stuck at the activation because of lack of instructions.

CAN ANYONE BE PRECISE FOR ONCE ???

13. jontucker macrumors 6502

Here ya go!

14. wavazey macrumors member

Bruk,

I have been in regular dialogue with a manager of a CPW and everything she has told me so far has been correct. You don't need a PAC code but you do need a transfer code. As you are transferring your number from CPW to O2 direct. From my understanding you will also be billed directly by O2 and you no longer will be a CPW customer.

In relation to how long (if any) it will take until your number will work with your new phone i am not 100% sure. But i imagine it won't take as long as the quoted five days. I think O2 are saying that to cover their own asses. I would imagine it would be up and running within 24-48 hrs and they are only saying five to cover themselves.

Hope this helps

P

15. bruk201ib macrumors member

bruk201ib

That's very helpful thanks. One more thing...;) .... in those 5 days I'm waiting for the activation, people who call my regular number what do they get? would they being transfered to the temporary number? can i still use my nokia n73 with the sim in it with my everyday number until the activation is done?

I've moved service from MobileWorld to O2 CPW before and i kept using the MobileWorld sim card until the day it got dead and then i started using the sim card that O2 CPW gave me. Is it going to be the same process?

16. jontucker macrumors 6502

I'm fairly sure you will still be able to use your existing number/handset until the transfer takes place which is UP TO 5 days.