Existing customer activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kdinks101, Dec 6, 2007.

1. kdinks101 macrumors newbie

I am thinking about getting my wife an iPhone for xmas. She is already an ATT customer so is it possible to swap the SIM out of her existing phone and put it into the iphone and not let ATT know about it? I just want to avoid having to re-up the contact and adding the $24 edge plan to her bill.

2. tonywob, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is correct. You must extend her plan to 2 more years and get the Apple iPhone plan. The only way around it is to buy the phone @ Apple and unlock it. Even then I think you need a data plan.

4. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

The answer to your question is no. The iPhone already comes with the SIM it needs to work. Even if you did do the swap and the SIM did work, I don't think there would be any point to it because you would still have to connect to iTunes in order to sync music, videos, bookmarks, and pictures and once you connected I am guessing the activation stuff would pop up in iTunes. Also, owning the iPhone without the EDGE plan really takes a lot of use out of the phone. Unless you are always surrounded by WiFi, not having EDGE turns the iPhone into a cool looking phone with basic features whenever you are away from the house or work. Basically it makes it a $400 phone that can only do features of a $50-100 phone when away from WiFi. If I were in your situation and did not want the EDGE plan, I would probably pass on the iPhone idea.