existing email address to register to iCloud?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Berlin85, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Berlin85 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

i have a question that really bothers me. As far as i can see, there has been no such question.

Do I need an existing email address to register to iCloud? Currently, I do not have any Apple ID. My plan is to delete my present email address (advertise, only one alias etc) and only have the me.com in future.

I really would hate to have that current email address (let's say Berlin85 at gmx de), I want to delete, for my apple ID.

I hope you understand my question and may be the developers can answer it.

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

when icloud is released using iOS5 or lion you can set up an apple ID using a free @me.com email that you get while creating said apple ID.

is basically says enter an email or create a free @me.com one.

3. Berlin85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response. That's exactly what I wanted to hear :cool:

Two month ago I wanted to redeem the Back to School Gift Card. i'm Glad i didn't create an apple id. I didn't want to have the purchases in the "old account" in case i have to redownload the apps at some point or want to sync songs. Only a few days left until the launch. :)

4. Berlin85 thread starter macrumors newbie

hm... the user MonkeyPantz asked the fowollowing question in the "iCloud.com Website Updated, No Longer in "Beta""-thread.

"I thought we would be able to receive a @me.com address from Apples iCloud service? But when I try to register it asks me for my email instead of creating one for me."

Do we though need an existing email address? Any ideas anyone?

5. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what're you asking, but Apple ID and @me are two different things. At least for the time being..