Existing O2 customer (non iPhone) .. how does the process work after you pick it up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fisha, Jul 23, 2008.

1. fisha macrumors regular

Basically, how does the process work if your getting an upgrade after you've walked out the store ?

Do you HAVE to sync the iPhone with a computer in order to complete the process.

Or do you get the phone, do all the business in store, and then walk out and the process will work in the background automaticallly to transfer numbers and things.

Reason I ask is that if i get the phone, its quite likely, i'll not be able to get it to a PC for at least a week ... would I be able to use it ? or would it just be locked until I synced it with my home PC?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

it is locked until you sync
    although the sync doesnt activate the phone, it does register it and copies your information

number transfers all happen in the background

as far as i can tell, there is no reason to need to sync with itunes, but you have to

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

i upgraded in store and nowhere did it say it needed to be activated - even on itunes etc
    although this could have been done in the background and the reason for the requirement to plug into itunes
    i cant see the point of needing to activate though, o2 know you have a contract etc

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Hence me saying *think*.

When I upgraded and turned the thing on it told me to connect to iTunes, admittadly, the way I turned it on was by hooking it up to the computer. But still, I am pretty sure you need to connect it.

To the OP... might be worth just asking them in store if they can activate it for you and you will enter contacts manually or something..?

6. fisha thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies folks.

I managed to get away from work early on the way home and get into the O2 just in time.

Basically, the phone made it look like it needed to be synced with iTunes before it would get past the start screen ... so thats what i did.

cheers,

Don