Existing o2 Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkjj, Oct 5, 2007.

1. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

OK, may have been covered but what exactly does this mean for us o2 customers?? Is it purely about keeping your phone number. Text from Apples web site.

Existing O2 Customers
    If you’re an existing O2 wireless customer on a qualifying tariff, you will have the option of keeping your existing phone number and upgrading your account to work with iPhone. iPhone plans include Visual Voicemail, SMS text messaging bundles and unlimited mobile data usage, which includes both email and web.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The text from the 02 site is even more confusing

What the hell do they mean it can take upto 5 days to transfer and we will get an temporary number. That is utter madness, especially for an exisiting customer - they already know where we live, our bank details, etc. Insanity.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It's been covered several times on the forums here.

If you started your contract with O2 before the 18th September then there's no penalty, you'll just start a new 18 month contract from the day you activate your iPhone. Any later than the 18th and you'll have to pay an additional charge of £219.

With regards to the '5 days' moving over, that will only apply to customers who are on the old 'DISE' system (people who have had their contract for a long time) and also to staff accounts which also use the system. Other people should be able to have their number ported across within an hour or so.

Hope this helps.

-Leemo

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I upgraded my phone with an existing O2 contract in week before the 18th. Now if I want to get an iPhone what significance does the 18th make? Is it the day I upgraded my contract or when my new contract will start, which I think is after the 18th?

5. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The date you upgraded is the date when your new contract starts. You should be fine.

-Leemo

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I hope so, this Samsung G600 they gave me is terrible. I have gone back to the good old Sony Ericsson K610 and will hold out until November.

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

this is from apple.com/uk

"If you’re an existing O2 wireless customer on a qualifying tariff, you will have the option of keeping your existing phone number and upgrading your account to work with iPhone. iPhone plans include Visual Voicemail, SMS text messaging bundles and unlimited mobile data usage, which includes both email and web."

Whos on a "Qualifying tariff" ?

8. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Anyone who had a contract before the 18th September.

-Leemo

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Ok, Dose anybody know when this will be anounced by o2?

10. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It's already been communicated to staff a few weeks ago, hence why I know about it. I doubt it's something they'll shout from the rooftops.

-Leemo

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I suppose 5 years is a long time :(

12. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Oh yes!

-Leemo

13. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Well, I have called o2 about 5 times after the iphone was anounced and no body was able to give me the anwser. :mad:

14. Project macrumors 68020

Only a month away. Cant wait! Though I just bought a Touch too. lol.

I have had my O2 number for about 4 years, and upgrade my contract/phone for each year of that. To the guy who works at O2, do you think it will take the 5 days for me?

15. mkjj thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Thanks guys, all seems clear now!

shame I can't take my minutes with me (800 for £35pm):(

16. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

This is an email someone from another thread, sent to Matthew Key CEO O2, asking that question

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Matthew,

I was very impressed with your presentation at Apple's Regent Street Store last Tuesday morning. There was a question that yourself and Steve Jobs didn't cover though and that I can't find a clear answer for on the O2 website: I am an existing O2 customer about 6 months into an 18 month contract. I currently pay £35 a month and have an O2 XDA phone (which I love by the way, great product). I wish to purchase an iPhone when it is released on November 9th, can I simply swap from my existing contract onto one of the new iPhone contracts? It says on the O2 website that existing customers can keep their numbers but it doesn't make it clear if that is for customers whose contracts have expired or those who are halfway through a contract.
    Congratulations on bringing the iPhone to O2 and thank you for providing a great mobile phone service, I have always had excellent customer service when I have needed it and get excellent coverage throughout the UK.
    Regards,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a reply off Mark Stevenson, O2 Marketing Dept.

Pointer thanks for your kind comments – the top level answer to your questions is yes – but I will get Mark to give you the fuller answer

Matthew Key

CEO

O2 UK Ltd
    www.o2.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, as Matthew says the top level answer is Yes.

To clarify if you were an existing O2 customer before we announced the iPhone - only on O2 deal - so before the 18th September, you will be able to exit your existing contract and take your current mobile phone number (mpn) ontto a new iPhone contract, without any termination charges on your existing contract, irrespective where you are, in the tenure of that contract.

However, you will not be able to move your existing contract onto the iPhone - you have to start a new 18 month contract, on one of the new unique O2 iPhone tariffs - that combine great value minute and text allownaces with unlimited bundles of Data and Wifi included in the monthly subscription.
    There are 3 O2 iPhone tariffs - £35, £45 & £55, which I am sure you have already seen on the internet.
    Hope this helps, .

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm sorry but that's pretty poor - and one reason that I'm not getting an iPhone. What they're basically saying is I'm paying for my own unsubsidised handset but I can't use it.

If a new iPhone comes out, I'm screwed for 18 months since I can't upgrade to it. That sucks. I could go out and buy any other non-subsidised handset (around the same price) and just switch my SIM in if I hate my handset during the initial contract period.

And the tariff really isn't that great when you consider the Cloud wifi is £3.99 retail and the usual O2 tariff for those minutes/texts is £15.

I'm an existing O2 customer who generally quite likes them and there's no way in hell I'm picking up an iPhone until things get a little more sensible once the hype runs down. I'll be picking up an SE850 on my usual 12 month upgrade option and see where we are later in the year.

18. Project macrumors 68020

Well, you also get unlimited data.

So £35 - £3.99 - £15 = £16 for the data. Not bad IMO.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

£16 for "unlimited" data that i can buy an O2 bolt-on for £7.50 for? Or pay £5 a month for on 3. Nope... doesn't wash that well either.

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

we all know the tarrif's are way to high . at the end of the day we all have a choice to make. for apple fan's like us(i hope we all are) it will be more difficult to make. but i made mine in January and there's no going back.......

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Maybe... I'm an Apple fan but I'm not prepared to pay over the odds to O2. Who knows... perhaps if enough people decide that it's not good value, they might improve the deal. I was tempted before they announced the details (hanging off on an upgrade) but with the other new data rates and wifi options available on other phones, it's become a even less attractive. And it's the model announced nearly a year ago... there's bound to be an update reasonably soon (even if only to 16GB a la Touch) which from the above O2 info, you won't be able to upgrade to! I bought a Touch instead. :p

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Where do you think Apple's cut is coming from? It's certainly not coming out of O2's profit margin.

23. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

my pal's touch arrived today, he emailed me some photo's. i was so jealous!!!!

24. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Apple is making there money selling the phone, and what is it 40% of what o2 makes with you they need to give it to apple.

25. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I dont believe that o2 will let existing costumers switch to the iphone plan with out a penalty. It makes no sense in a business prospective. You aredy have a plan with o2, They are making money off you, Why would they let you switch to the iphone plan when 40% (or what ever it is) will go to Apple. While the plan you have now with o2 all the profit o2 gets to keep.

BTW, I am an an o2 customer.