Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Right so I think it's pretty much a given that there is going to be some sort of delay in getting the iPhone 8....my question is for those who are currently on the upgrade program, if there is a delay and you are continuing to provide payments for your current device, does that get deducted off the iPhone 8 when you receive it? For example, I got my iPhone 7 plus back in September last year, but if I can't get the iPhone 8 until December, will I still be paying money towards the 7 plus even though it was a 12 month agreement?

My understanding was that it is a 12 month payment plan but what if you can't get the iPhone 8 until after 12 months? Do upgrade program users get priority over everyone else?

Reactions: apwtwenty

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Once you have paid the balance off your current phone, the payments will stop as you will own the phone so you will know longer be on the upgrade program. I don't think people on the upgrade program will get priority. Why should they? When the phone is release, it will be equal opportunities for everyone.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Once you have paid the balance off your current phone, the payments will stop as you will own the phone so you will know longer be on the upgrade program. I don't think people on the upgrade program will get priority. Why should they? When the phone is release, it will be equal opportunities for everyone.
You're forgetting that last time around, the Upgrade Program people DID get priority. Phones were held back to fill orders for the AUP. With the iPhone 8 being such a big update, I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the case this year.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
OK i stand corrected but isn't the upgrade program spread over 20 months. I could never work it out.
So in the uk, you pay £49 deposit for the 7 Plus and then payments of £50 per month including AppleCare for 20 months.
if you trade in after 11 months, you still owe 9 months payments and the maximum that Apple will give for your current phone if its the flag ship model is £220. So you will still owe £230 and then you have to add an initial deposit that will probably be higher for a £1000 iPhone 8 plus higher monthly payments.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
OK i stand corrected but isn't the upgrade program spread over 20 months. I could never work it out.
So in the uk, you pay £49 deposit for the 7 Plus and then payments of £50 per month including AppleCare for 20 months.
if you trade in after 11 months, you still owe 9 months payments and the maximum that Apple will give for your current phone if its the flag ship model is £220. So you will still owe £230 and then you have to add an initial deposit that will probably be higher for a £1000 iPhone 8 plus higher monthly payments.

I thought you just handed the phone in and you get the next iPhone plus the deposit?

The way I understood it, is that as long as the phone is in good condition you don't owe any balance if you trade in after 11 months or whatever it was

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I don't think thats right if you do the maths. The 7 plus with 256 meg is £919. With a £49 deposit and 20 months at £43.50 is £870 making a total of £919. If you have only paid £49 plus 11 months at £43.50 then you have only paid 527.50 on the phone leaving an outstanding balance of £391.50 and thats what you still owe. Apple will only pay £220 for that phone as a trade in so you would still owe 171.50.
How can you have a zero balance after 11 months with a trade in. That means that the phone only cost you £527.50 on a £919 phone. Apple would not waver 9 months outstanding payment just because you take out a new phone.
Remember its the bank that loan the money and they would want the balance paid one way or another

I thought you just handed the phone in and you get the next iPhone plus the deposit?

The way I understood it, is that as long as the phone is in good condition you don't owe any balance if you trade in after 11 months or whatever it was[/QUOTE

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
San Diego, CA

The way I understood it, is that as long as the phone is in good condition you don't owe any balance if you trade in after 11 months or whatever it was

Correct. After 12 payments you can trade the phone in for another, no charges. If you want to keep the phone, you can pay it off over the full duration of the loan.

You'll be refunded any payment within 30 days of when you do actually trade. If you got an iPhone 7 in Sept, and can't get a new iPhone until December this year...you'll continue making payments, but December's payment will be refunded one you get the new phone. The phone is still depreciating. Obviously, you couldn't decide to keep it for 15 months and expect to be reimbursed for all those extra months once you trade. But like I said, they'll reimburse your last payment when you do get the new phone.
[doublepost=1502747510][/doublepost]
How can you have a zero balance after 11 months with a trade in. That means that the phone only cost you £527.50 on a £919 phone. Apple would not waver 9 months outstanding payment just because you take out a new phone.
Remember its the bank that loan the money and they would want the balance paid one way or another

Are you serious? You're giving the phone back...not keeping it. You basically lease it, only paying for the depreciation, not the actual phone. The phone you turn in still has value and they turn around and refurbish it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That’s precisely how it works?

After 11 payments, you can get a new iPhone and simply start the programme again with your new choice of model, colour or storage capacity.
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Weird how the payment is spread over 20 months in the UK. The US gets it spread over 24 months.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
I am hearing the AUP program folks will have a special web page to reserve on. Since they are (arguably) the most loyal customers. Last year no provision was made for the program and they were not permitted to order via the web on opening day because of some issue with the site. Apple worked with them to get them phones in a timely manner.

Hopefully the web site will be true as I’m in the program.

Reactions: KRG and Pez555

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Correct. After 12 payments you can trade the phone in for another, no charges. If you want to keep the phone, you can pay it off over the full duration of the loan.

You'll be refunded any payment within 30 days of when you do actually trade. If you got an iPhone 7 in Sept, and can't get a new iPhone until December this year...you'll continue making payments, but December's payment will be refunded one you get the new phone. The phone is still depreciating. Obviously, you couldn't decide to keep it for 15 months and expect to be reimbursed for all those extra months once you trade. But like I said, they'll reimburse your last payment when you do get the new phone.
[doublepost=1502747510][/doublepost]

Are you serious? You're giving the phone back...not keeping it. You basically lease it, only paying for the depreciation, not the actual phone. The phone you turn in still has value and they turn around and refurbish it.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was a bit worried for a second!

What I am ultimately worried about is trying to get one on release but there being like a 2 month wait or whatever. I assume once you put the order in for one you will be reimbursed for however many months you pay for the current device after the order date? Say I ordered the 8 a few days after release day and the wait shoots up to 8 weeks or something.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
I don’t know. Hoping they will get AUP folks a release day phone of their choice.

Reactions: KRG

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
San Diego, CA
Thanks for clearing that up, I was a bit worried for a second!

What I am ultimately worried about is trying to get one on release but there being like a 2 month wait or whatever. I assume once you put the order in for one you will be reimbursed for however many months you pay for the current device after the order date? Say I ordered the 8 a few days after release day and the wait shoots up to 8 weeks or something.

I doubt it. They'll reimburse you within the 30 days so you aren't double charged in the same month, but they aren't going to give you free months of phone useage if there's a waiting list. You're renting the phone. I wouldn't expect free anything.

You aren't technically losing money. You may pay an extra payment, but you're getting an extra month of usage out of your current phone. That would delay you though, so you wouldn't be able to trade up on launch day next year and you'd always be a month behind. That would be a problem for me, and I suspect many.

I have a feeling Apple will ensure all IUP people get a phone as close to launch as day as possible.

Reactions: Jimpilot

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Not how the world works. IUP sales are more profitable because they include £119 on top of the phone for AppleCare. It's in Apple's interests from a business point of view to prioritise those customers and retain that loyalty to ensure the repeat sales next year.

Reactions: Jimpilot

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
My understanding is after you've paid 11 months of your plan you can give Apple the phone back and start a new plan with whatever new phone you choose as long as the phone is in good enough condition and you don't have to pay the remaining 9 months.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Will Apple notify us that we're eligible to upgrade or do we have to reserve a phone and then upgrade again during your appointment?

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
I agree with some of the comments above, I am hoping that Apple has a smoother process for Upgrade program customers this year. Hoping there were some lessons learned last year. I agree that upgrade program customers are some of the most loyal so why not let the pre order early or do something awesome like guarantee day one phones. We can dream right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.