Exists sleep with lid down when MagSafe connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swebb99, Oct 4, 2012.

1. swebb99, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

swebb99 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My macbookopro has started exiting sleep mode when the lid is down but only when the magsafe is connected, I don't mean when I connect the magsafe just when it goes to sleep connected to magsafe. The sleep settings for the drive and display are the same of battery and mains settings.

The mac sleeps (flashing light) and when I lift the mac and tilt it around, especially turn it upside down I hear the fan start and the led lights. I open the lid and sometimes the display comes on other times not, if I remove the magsafe when the screen is blank it immediately turns on!

When running (or sleeping) on battery none of this happens even if I enter sleep with magsafe connected and then remove it and tilt the macbook around and turn it upside down.

I've reset the Pram, SMC and even tried turning the SMS off. No applications are running and timemachine is off, oh and it doesn't wake on network access.

Any idea's ?

Thanks

Steve

2. gtstricky macrumors regular

gtstricky

hmmmm... you don't have an external monitor connected do you?

3. swebb99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope nothing connected. Originally I thought maybe the lid was pressing on the keyboard or mousepad and waking the machine up but why would that only happen when power is connected!!!

Also if I don't fully close the lid the machine sleeps as usual but when it seems to wake with the power connected the keyboard and screen don't always come on but the light on the front turns on, i can hear the fan and what appears to be the HD arm moving a little. If I disconnect the power the screen and keyboard light up.

Very strange.

4. swebb99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just had a look at the syslog and found the following reason for waking from sleep:

$ syslog|grep -i "Wake reason"

kernel[0] <Debug>: Wake reason: OHC1

kernel[0] <Debug>: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
    kernel[0] <Debug>: Previous Sleep Cause: 5
    kernel[0] <Debug>: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 6 of Hub at 0x4000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)

So it looks like the keyboard is causing the problem. I've cleaned the screen (dust on it) and also cleaned and blown a lot on the keyboard and so far it seems to be ok. I'm thinking maybe the issue is dust touching the trackpad. Not a clue what this problem would only happen when power connected though!!!

5. swebb99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not even an option, I think thats on newer hardware.

6. colinwil macrumors regular

When my Macbook Pro decided to stop sleeping a few months ago it turned out to be because of a stuck print job in the print queue.

Also, 'Internet Sharing' (in Preferences/Sharing) prevents sleep - so turn it off if you've recently enabled it.

You can get the definitive reason by going to a terminal window and typing 'pmset -g assertions'.

In the list near the top of the response it should say "PreventSystemSleep 0".

If it says "Prevent System Sleep 1". Something's preventing it from sleeping. The response gives further details in this case - the pid and the name of the process that's preventing the sleep.