Exit Counseling for Student Loans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Aug 17, 2013.

  1. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    DO I need to do this?

    I received an email from my university stating I need to conduct this as I have student loans out.

    However, all my loans I had taken out were when I was in undergrad and I did my exit counseling then. I took no loans out during grad school and was merely in deferment.

    At anyrate, I am paid quite a bit up in advance but if I do exit counseling now, it resets my pay back period for 10 years again. How can I keep my old pay back period?

  2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

    Zombie Acorn

    Feb 2, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    Schools usually require it before issuing your degree. It may be a state school thing. I can't remember the exact details though.
  3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    I would call your loan servicer and see what they can do.
  4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3


    Aug 19, 2008
    The Anthropocene
    Why would resetting the pay period matter? Surely you could continue to pay as you have been? (Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.)

    For each of my degrees, even though I only took out one small loan in undergrad, I had to go through loan exit counseling. Didn't take long...
  5. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Jul 7, 2012
    I had to do it as a requirement. I recall filling out a form and mailing it in. Afterwards, a call with Direct Loan folks.
  6. vjarnot macrumors newbie

    Aug 19, 2013
    None of us can tell you definitively. Depends on the school.
  7. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

    Feb 8, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Sounds like an issue you should take up with your school/loan servicer. Or just don't do it because someone on here said you didn't have to, and see how that goes over. ;)

Share This Page