Exiting Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MM07, Apr 24, 2008.

1. MM07 macrumors 6502a

How do you do it?

I just noticed that Fusion says that I should exit from the OS that I'm using instead of closing Fusion by CMD-Q.

Does it matter?

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Shutdown the virtualized operating system first, then quit the program.

3. MM07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Think of Fusion as your physical Windows machine (since it is a "virtual" machine) on which you have an OS running. Would you just unplug the machine, or shut down the OS first?

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

A standard choice when running virtual machines is just to suspend them. That way you don't have to wait for the machine to start up each time. In Fusion the pause button will suspend the session and when you start the virtual machine again it will resume from the save state.

Just a few points to keep in mind about suspended virtual machines, 1. it is not possible to change the hardware configuration while it's suspended (you need to shut it down first) and 2. don't delete files associated with your VM as it may not start again.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

As you said, there are some problems with suspending windows.

The last time I checked, suspending a vmware machine that uses bootcamp partition and then try to boot into windows natively will cause problems.

In a real wintel machine, it's actually faster to shut down and start windows, as suspending windows makes it slow after waking up for some reason.

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

True, although in Fusion suspension is being done by Fusion suspending the virtual machine instead of Windows suspending itself. The Fusion suspension process has (thus far) been rapid and reliable.