Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
It's been said that holding down The Button for 4 to 8 seconds, will exit the process from running in the background. Is this really true; Is there tech docs that state this, or did someone pull that one out of their... Why would it be running in the background after closing the program? Doesn't make sense to me, and getting tired of holding the button down everytime.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
You don't need to hold the button down every time. I believe it was designed to have all programs have an instance running in the background so that relaunching is quick. They aren't actually using up any of the processor speed on the phone, but just sort of sitting in limbo till you open them again.

Holding the button down to exit the program was designed to be used in case the program started experiencing bugs and you needed to restart it. I've done this occaisionally with Safari and Google Maps when they started acting up, and it usually cleared the issues up right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.