expand window

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nexrus, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Nexrus macrumors newbie

Is there a combination of keys that expands the opened window to maximum occupancy? In other words maximize it as much as possible.

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Make a new bookmark on your bookmarks bar and copy this into it's address field:
    javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Then name it anything you like, mine says full screen. Now when you click that, any Safari or Firefox window will expand to full size like in Windows.

I've been using this since last summer when I got my first Mac.

3. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

It would be nice if apple put this functionality into the little green traffic light with a plus on it. I don't know why they insist on leaving it as it is.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's better for multitasking - Mac OS has always been designed for multitasking. Maximizing windows runs counter to this goal, though I must admit that it is useful in certain applications.

5. 119576 Guest

This has been discussed at length many times on these forums.

6. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Indeed, and I understand the apple thinking behind it, it is just not useful for me :)

I don't really agree. I like to be able to see as much of the application I am using as possible.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Then, I must ask - all of you who like to maximize windows. Do you use Expose at all? If you do, you may discover, like I did, that it doesn't like maximized windows too much.

8. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Not sure what you mean. Expose doesn't like lots of Safari windows all exactly the same size when it is the only application. But apart from that it is fine.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Strange. I haven't seen that problem - perhaps because I always use tabs instead of new windows, and make judicious use of the "Merge All Windows" feature in Safari. Very useful, that, if you want to combine all your open windows into tabs.

That said, I do use the tip mentioned several posts above this one for Safari and Firefox - for some strange reason I like those two applications better full screen, as well as iTunes and Eclipse (due to the large amount of information they present in one window). For other applications, I don't bother.