Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Posaune78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2014
Any advice on this would be great.

I connected my new Airport Express (802.11n) to my internet router and it's working fine. I would like to use my older Airport Express (802.11g) to expand the wireless capability to cover more of my home. I've looked online and have only found instructions on how to do this using 2 or more of the same model. It is possible to expand the wireless coverage using two different types of Airport Expresses ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Any advice on this would be great.

I connected my new Airport Express (802.11n) to my internet router and it's working fine. I would like to use my older Airport Express (802.11g) to expand the wireless capability to cover more of my home. I've looked online and have only found instructions on how to do this using 2 or more of the same model. It is possible to expand the wireless coverage using two different types of Airport Expresses ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yes and no.

You can mix and match the 5th gen N Extreme, new AC Extreme, the current appleTV like express, and the plug hanging 2.4/5ghz N one.

But going back to the G express? Maybe not

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To be able to extend the network using an older G device, you must put the newer N device into WDS Main mode. Use a search engine to find out how to extend an Airport network using WDS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.