Expandable Memory on the ipod touch 3G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by leomac08, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Would you like to see expandable memory slot for the ipod touch?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. ONLY for the iphone

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Both

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

"Wouldn't you rather have expandable storage, like a built in micro sd reader. I've asked this before and never had an answer, why won't Apple allow you to expand your storage space? Seems like a rip off to me. 8GB for a device capable of playing movies seems ridiculously small and charging the best part of £200 more for the 32GB version seems like a con."

I got this question asked to me, and i said

"ehh, i wouldn't, the ipod touch is like an oversize memory card, i don't even use all of it's memory, if their was a 32 GB ipod touch, i would probably use about 4GB of music, and 10GB on apps, and 3GB of photos and other stuff.

expandable storage means, the ipod touch will get a lil bit bigger, really makes no sense to me.

i would only see that in the iphone (since it's a smartphone and people might want more Data in their phone for business), but i don't know. Expandable memory in the ipod touch really seems odd"

Now i ask, would it make sense to put an expandable memory slot SD in the ipod touch, or in the iphone, or none at all!?

PLEASE VOTE!:)

2. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i would like to see this included on the next gen. ipods...especially since the news of a 2TB sd card has been released :D

3. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

2TB??????????????????? whoa!!!! (that's all i have to say)

i don't know why you would want 2TB's of memory but that is insane!:eek:

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I'd like to see memory slots on both the iPhone and the iPods (all of them for that matter). For the customer there is no downside. For Apple... why would you buy the higher capacity iPod if you could just buy the 8GB one and and a card to bring it up to the capacity that you need?

So, while I'd like to see it... I don't see it happening. BTW, I own the 32GB iPod Touch 2G and I have 15 GB of music, 8 GB of movies, 2 GB of photos, and still have more room on it that is on my 4 GB iPod mini... I love it.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

The good news... there is a 2TB memory card out.... the bad news... it's the size of a LP record...

Just kidding... but isn't there an upper size limit in the flash memory card spec?

6. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

I congratulate you, i have an 8GB ipod touch, and i still haven't used all the memory!, hahaha :D

most likely i will get the ipod touch 3G 16GB when it comes out!:) cause i heard apple might stop making 8GB, and make a new line of ipod touches in 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

7. MTI macrumors 65816

Really, what percentage of iPod (or any portable audio device) owners actually find it required to have their entire catalog of digital entertainment files with them at all times?

I suspect it's just a mild psychological "pack rat" affliction, likely dealing with insecurity issues . . . :D

8. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

i really don't know, i have only seen mini micro SD slots for blackberry's, (my blackberry has 1GB of added memory) and my PSP has a micro SD slot for a 2GB boost, but i don't know?:confused:

9. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

Not me. i only use it for music, video, photos, apps and nothing else!!!!!

i don't save my powerpoints, word files or bank account statements in my notes!

of course it's "unsafe" durh

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm running an 8GB card on my PSP now....yeah I was going to buy a 32GB but I'm not sure were or if there out. I would so do a 2TB card in an iPod though, no more worrying about memory just download to your hearts desire....

11. jpbl68 macrumors member

I can't believe so many people don't want this. Why wouldn't you want the option of being able to upgrade your iPod's capacity? OK, so maybe you only want to run a few apps, store a couple of gigs of music and the odd photo now, but what if that changes? You'd be forced to either delete your current content or shell out for a new iPod.

I could understand people being indifferent to this but I cannot understand why anyone would say that they didn't want the option of expandable memory on the 3G Touch. It's something they should've included on the 2G.

12. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Its hardly going to happen is it. Last I checked, the iPod brand was hardware driven.

Why would any of that grip be released to third party insertable storage.

13. jpbl68 macrumors member

What would Apple stand to lose? You still have to buy their iPod, you're still going to use their store and apps. The Touch is compatible with 3rd party headphones, headsets, cases, screen protectors.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Having an SD card slot is a bad idea. For the MBPs, it's a good idea, but not for iPod. It'll be easier to jailbreak, easier to steal music, and harder to support the various kinds of cheap flash memory out there. More user problems, and etc.

PSPs don't have SD slots, micro, mini or otherwise. It's a memory stick slot.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

16. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Is there a "I'd like to see it but I know it will never happen" option?:rolleyes:

17. jpbl68 macrumors member

Is it that difficult to jailbreak the current iPods?

18. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

Won't happen

There is more profit in a 16 gb then a 8 GB Touch, there is more profit in a 32 gb Touch then a 16 gb touch. If it had a card slot, everyone would buy an 8 GB touch and a 32 GB, because thats cheaper then a 16 GB Touch and its 2.5x as much memory. The SD form factor goes like this.

Standard SD: up to 4 GB
    SDHC : 4GB to 32 GB (32 GB are under $75 now)
    SDXC : 32 GB to 2 TB (64 GB announced)

-Tig

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not sure about that. I like the iPod being a compact thing with no (easily) replaceable parts. It's just a block of technology with a cable to sync music and a headphone port.

20. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

that was the word, ipod's are hardware driven!

adding a memory slot would be another way for hackers to get "personal stuff"

i just don't see the reason for them in ipods.:D

21. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

NO WORRIES BE HAPPY:) 2TB!!!! how much is it? in USD? lol

22. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

that really made no sense at all, :confused:

8GB is good
    32GB is good
    16GB is bad?

is that what your saying?

23. jpbl68 macrumors member

That's a good point. But if Apple were to release a new line of Macbooks, each with an identical spec except for their storage capacity, and there was no way to increase your storage capacity without spending a fortune on the next model up there would be outrage. Apple would stand to lose all but their hardcore fans.

24. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

aren't they also called memory stick DUO? lol:)

25. leomac08 thread starter macrumors 68020

leomac08

NO, i nvr thought about that:confused: lol

u only have 4 options choose!:)