Expanding Battery on Summer 2007 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smiddlehurst, Apr 25, 2009.

1. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Hey everyone, after a quick bit of advice here. Have been having some problems with my trackpad button sticking for the last two weeks or so on a 17" MBP, one of the first with the HD screens from Summer 2007. Around the same time my battery started acting a little strange but I just assumed as it was two years old and has spent the last few months tethered to the wall the battery was getting on a bit.

Anyway, today the trackpad button stuck down seemingly for good so I figured I'd whip the case apart and see if it was jammed with something cleanable. As always with a laptop pulled the battery, put it down on the table... and heard a gentle clunk as it settled onto one corner. On closer examination the battery is bulging out on both sides and it's been this pushing on the underside of the trackpad that's stopped the mouse working.

Now I've heard of this happening on older MBP batteries but wasn't aware it was still a problem on machines built this late. I'm off to the Apple store tomorrow to request in as polite a manner as possible that they swap it out there and then for a new one and explain why they sold me a battery that suffered a fault that was known at least a year previously. But I was wondering if anyone had more information about this? Is there any sort of official policy on replacements, does it matter that the machine is out of its year warranty (got made redundant right when the 12 months experied so money had to go elsewhere), is this a problem with ALL MBP's, not just the earlier models etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Steve

2. smiddlehurst thread starter macrumors 65816