Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
I noticed today that my trusty 3G iPod is expanding/bulging a little bit on the right hand side. The white plastic is OK but the metal part is spreading out a little bit.

Has anybody else ever had a problem like that. Do you guys think I can take it apart and re-arange some stuff internally and put it back together. Please stir me in the right direction here.

I'd like to fix it. It might be just cosmetic but it still bothers the hell out of me. ...and no I don't want to buy a new iPod just yet...

I also attached some pictures as reference.

Attachments

• iPod_1.JPG
    iPod_1.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 78
  • iPod_2.JPG
    iPod_2.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 64
  • iPod_3.JPG
    iPod_3.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 59

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm finding it hard to see from the pictures. I'd say it's probably not worth the risk of taking the iPod apart. It might cause more harm than good. :(

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
That is what I was thinking but it still bugs me.

The metal case bulges about 2-3mm on the right hand side (right where the forward button is) It's a gradual bulge I wonder how that happened?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
I have noticed this on my 15GB G3 too.

I think it mainly happens when I have it in my back jeans pocket and sit down on it. Surprisingly, it usually corrects itself throughout the day. :confused:

You could just squeeze it real hard… ;)

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
I imagine that it has nothing to do with anything on the inside changing position. I would avoid taking it apart. It may bother you, but...well...there isn't much you can do.

My guess is that it is caused by pressure, and the metal being less elastic than the plastic would be the reason behind the metal sticking out even though the plastic looks normal.

Just my $.02, but I don't think it is fixable, and I also don't think it is worth the potential damage of trying to fix it.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
same on my 10GB 3G iPod. Squeeze it on the sides and it may click back into place. Otherwise, its not doing any harm, i count it as fine

Its in very good nic. No scratches (that i can see). Mines covered in hairline scratches. At least now if it gets any worse, i wont notice it :p

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
this happens to mine too, usually if it gets smashed. the plastic gets pushed down into the metal case, causing the metal to bulge out, try to get something thin in between the plastic and the metal and run it down the side of the ipod. I usually just use my fingernail, but i've heard of success using credit cards and such. :)

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
If it really bothers you, pop the iPod open and squeeze it back in. I do this for customers of mine all the time.

Use a small flathead screwdriver to work your way in to the existing gap, and then move round the perimiter. If you dont have a black stick, or similar tools, a butter knife (plasic is better) will do the trick.

There is a small connector on the top inside of the back case. Make sure you gently disconnect that, then the back case should come off clean.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
aplasticspork said:
this happens to mine too, usually if it gets smashed. the plastic gets pushed down into the metal case, causing the metal to bulge out, try to get something thin in between the plastic and the metal and run it down the side of the ipod. I usually just use my fingernail, but i've heard of success using credit cards and such. :)

Thanks for the advise. I took a knife and carefully slit it along the side and the metal part snapped right into place again.

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
sometimes this happens from the ipod heating up (charging battery, or accessing the HD constantly).

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
briangig said:
sometimes this happens from the ipod heating up (charging battery, or accessing the HD constantly).

I'm coming to the same conclusion after all these posts. It's still a little weird, and it's the first time after almost 2.5 years of ownership.

Thanks again for all your the helpful posts guys and girls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.