Expanding memory in new macbook from 2g to 4g

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ocdb, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ocdb macrumors newbie

Hello all, apple stores charges $150 to expand memory within 30 days of purchase..
    Is this worth it ?
    Any links that teaches how to change memory ?
    Any specific high performance memory you recommend under $150.

Thank you all in advanced..

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

3. zzzzzzzzz macrumors member

you know, from the sources i've been looking at, apple's upgrade rate doesn't seem too bad. other prices range from 140 to 200 for 4 gigs of DDR3.

which makes sense since if you're looking to do it yourself it's the total price of the 4 gigs, but if you get it done by apple it's the 4 gigs minus the 2X1 gigs that you would have other wise had.

my thinking is that the price of the ram will fall in the future, so it depends if you want to enjoy the performance boost from right now, or plan to upgrade for cheaper in the future when your bank account refills.

4. DrivinWest macrumors regular

FWIW, I had mine built to order with 4GB. I have no experience with the 2GB version but 4GB ROCKS. I run VMWare Fusion with 2GB dedicated to Vista and both the host and virtual machines absolutely cook! No beach balls at all!

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

I would add, that you won't find anything well below $150, meaning that the only real value in upgrading yourself is the ability to retain the original 2GB RAM. This is only useful if you can sell it and I jut don't know how much of a market there would be for 2x1GB DDR3 RAM. Seems most of the few machines with DDR3 RAM start with 2GB as it is. I say just have Apple do it.

6. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

I have to say that $150 is suprisingly decent price coming from Apple, since they have history of raping their customers on RAM prices, BUT, if you consider the fact that you can buy the 4GB Ram on Newegg for about $140, and sell your existing 2GB for about $80, you will come to the conclusion to do it yourself. Same goes for Hard Disks.
    It's easy, and ultimately cheaper. That's what I would do.

Cheers.

7. budkid macrumors regular

hopefully by the holiday season, there will be more selection of memory.

8. typhoonoid macrumors newbie

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I agree with some of the others, $150 for 4G upgrade is a really good price. I'm actually shocked because usually Apple gouges big time for RAM upgrades. I'd take it in.

I just did mine w. OWC RAM, it cost $146 and I had to do the work. Only plus side is I keep the 1G's.

10. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

The sticks are 59 each + 6 dollars shipping each. So, 65+65 = $130. Roughly 8% tax adds $9, bring that online ram to a total of $139. Apple RAM is tested, warrantied as long as your computer, and will be installed for you. I prefer apple's offering for once.

Also, Selling 2G of DRR3 will be impossible as there are small followings for it.

11. typhoonoid macrumors newbie

the shipping isn't 6 bux each i ordered like 5 items and the shipping was only 14 bux.

12. santa.claus macrumors newbie

hi folks!

thank you all for your valuable inputs. i ordered my macbook online last week and i have got the same today (its still packed and lying at home at the moment). I'll be getting back home in the evening and i just cant wait to get my hands on that machine.

the ram that i have on this machine is 2 gb (ie 2 X 1gb ram modules). And like most of us say apple is giving a really good deal (150$ extra to upgrade to 4gb). But my question to you is - is it possible for me to spend 150$ now and get the 4gb ram? Or do i have to spend 300$ to buy 2 x 2gb ram and also have 2 x 1gb ram lying with me?

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

apple ram buyback details

HEY! Thanks for the advice on the apple ram buyback program! Confirmed how it works with an associate at the Apple Store. You have to go to the store manager and mention the program. They'll take your $150, install it, and send the old ones back to apple.

Better yet, the new memory will be covered under applecare, unlike aftermarket.

Just took my MB into the Apple Store, and I'm waiting for them to install it today and call me back. Sweet!