Expanding my MacBook Hardrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MaccyGoodness, Aug 18, 2009.

1. MaccyGoodness macrumors newbie

The long and short of it is that I need my hard drive expanding as I am nearing capacity with my paltry 70GB drive.

Anyway, I am going to take it to a local dealer in Norwich when I return to study at the UEA and get it done there hopefully.

However there are websites in the UK that deal with this sort of thing, so what do you recommend?

Does anyone have any tips and experiences with this?

How much would an extra 100-200GB cost me?

Thanks in advance.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you're in the UK, just find a reputable shop or online dealer, and then do the installation yourself.

Physically it's quite simple, with instructions on apple.com/support if you look around. As far as data backing up, you'll then need an external hard disk to transfer all your data do, or an enclosure to make your current internal drive into an external drive, and then just drag and drop everything back.

Here in the US, you can get a 500GB drive for as low as $90USD.

Alternatively, you could buy an external USB powered HDD for expanded use. Again, here...a 500GB drive can be had for ~$120 or so.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps it is just me, but it sounds like you are talking about adding additional capacity to your existing HD!?! :confused:

You say things like "expanding HD" and "additional 100-200 GB"

You will not be expanding your HD, you will be replacing it with a new HD
    You will also need to transfer all your data to the new drive

Maybe I didn't need to say any of that, but it was just not clear to me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Just to reiterate, it's technically and physically impossible to expand an existing HD - it's like getting blood out of a stone!
    If you want more space you'll have to replace the existing unit and later copy the contents over or choose a external USB/Firewire version.

If it's an replacement and upgrade you really want, here's a link for OverClockers in Stoke, their service is great and their prices ain't too shocking - actually fairly competitive!! As for brand well.. it's down to preference, personally Seagate and Western Digital are both great performers!! Though you'll need to find a little guide online for the step by step installation - (handy to have it printed out)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=14&subid=896