Expanding My NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gracenote, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Gracenote macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm aware there are already a few threads on Network-Attached Storage but please bare with me. I recently set up my own photography business and I'm running out of hard drive space.

I am currently working from a MBPr with a 1TB SSD which is backed up by a 3 TB Time Capsule. I have the MBP connected to a Drobo 5D via Thunderbolt. The Drobo it's self contains five Hitachi 4 TB drives. I also have an assortment of other 1 to 4 TB internal/external hard drives which are kept secure off site once full.

I'm running out of space fast and I have yet to find 5 TB HDD so my Drobo isn't really expandable any more.

At home I use a combination of Linux, BSD and OS X,

My question is:

Should I buy another Drobo or a similar ready made NAS?

Should I buy a Mac Mini with OS Server?

Should I build my own server and run BSD or Linux?

I'd like to hear your opinion on any or all of the above. If you think I should build my own hardware and or software suggestion would be great.

As for a case I was thinking I would get the Lian Li D8000 but it's bigger than I would like.

Budget: £1500/$2400

Thank you,

Grace

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

3. Gracenote thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Blevins321 for taking the time to comment. Amazon do not stock that particular model here in the UK however they do sell the Synology DS3612xs.

I'm not sure what the difference is; I think 3612xs has capacity for more memory. Either way both machines are impressive and I will certainly consider it even if it's slightly over my budget.

Thanks again,

Grace

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Try this : http://www.synology.com/products/nas_selector.php?lang=enu

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

6. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

My 2 cents:

Considering that it is a business and that you are consuming a lot of space, it could be useful to think through all this before jumping on hardware solutions.

What are your needs ? How much space do you need / year ? You said you have 20 TB on a Drobo: I assume it means 10 TB usable on RAID 1 ? If so, what are your backup solutions ? You said you keep drive off-site once full, does this means that you have no off-site backup of your most recent works ?
    More important, how do you work ? What is your workflow ? Are you satisfied with it or do you want to work differently ?

That's an awful lot of questions, but IMHO it's worth it to take your time to answer them.