Expanding Windows Files at 0% (still)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by oalzein, Dec 13, 2012.

1. oalzein macrumors newbie

Ive spent the past 6 hours trying to get this to work. I read through all the forums i could find pertaining to my issue.

I have a Macbook Pro Late 2011 15' with a replacement 256gb Crucial M4 SSD (with TRIM support and updated firmware and such) (also still on OSX Lion)

My friend gave me his burned copy of Windows (said he got some sort of student discount) which he burned at the slowest speed possible as suggested and had worked for him.

I used this and a flash drive for the drivers for Boot Camp (Drivers also didn't work, when i went to select the drivers it wouldn't accept anything in the directory except for WindowsSupport>Drivers>Intel>WIN7).

After struggling through the entire process i finally got to the installation. The first step hit 100% instantly, but when it got to "Expanding Windows Files" it stayed at 0% and the optical drive stopped working as hard. It made small twerking noises, occasionally picking up and slowing back down again.

I allowed it to sit that way for an hour and a half and still had 0% , Tried 3 times again and still no luck.

Anyone have any idea? Should i just try to find a factory copy of W7?

It would be nice if someone had a solution to the Driver problem as well?

Thanks in advance

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You do understand that you are trying to install a pirated version of Windows, don't you? That sort of thing is frowned upon here.

3. oalzein thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats false, because it was purchased from a previous Microsoft deal going to people who register with their university or college emails. They provided my friend with the ISO file and instructions on how to burn it on a CD, if he had paid more they send a disc as well. Similar to what they are currently doing with windows 8.

4. -Concept- macrumors member

So bypassing the issue of whether it's legal or not, let's answer the OP's question... did your friend burn the disk using Disk Util, or did he burn it using Windows to USB? If you burn it using a a program on a Windows machine, it'll make it bootable automatically. I found that when I burned it using disk utility, it didn't make the disk correctly or something and it stayed at Expanding Files forever.

Here is a link to that (you'll need a VM or a Windows machine to run it) - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

As for the drivers, make the clean install of Windows and then install them afterwards from your USB drive (make sure it's formatted as MS-DOS).