Expansion Card for 2001 Quicksilver G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Samaritan63, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Samaritan63 macrumors newbie

Hi All!

A neighbor of mine who is disabled asked me to help him upgrade some things on his computer (An original 2001 G4 Quicksilver Mac) so that he could edit video on his old Mac.

It's not so much because I'm an expert or anything, rather, we were talking one day and realized we owned very similar computers, and because I'm aways just a phone call and a short walk away.

He wanted a newer CD/DVD drive, a terabyte external storage drive, and a firewire expansion card, since his old Mac only has two firewire ports, and he needs at least three (one for the external drive, one for his camera, and one for an older external drive that he has archived footage stored on.)

I bought all three items from Newegg, installed the new optical drive, set up the external drive, and they're working wonderfully. He can transfer raw video from his camera into iMovie, edit it, save it to his external drive, and burn it as DVDs that play in regular home system DVD players.

The only problem that we ran into was that I didn't get the correct type of firewire card, so we sent that back and now have a credit with Newegg.

So, here's my question:

Can anybody out there help me find a firewire expansion card from Newegg for this Mac? I'm really having a hard time figuring out which ones will work, like I said, I'm not that technically minded in the first place, I'm just a guy trying to help a friend out, and I'm really confused as to which, if any, expansion cards will work with such an old Mac.

I've done what I usually do, and searched through various forums and boards, but still I can't seem to discern with confidence which brand/model his computer needs.

If anyone who is more well versed in these types of upgrades could take a few minutes out of their day, and help us locate an expansion card on Newegg, it would just mean the world to us!

Thank you in advance!

G4 Quicksilver 2001, 867 MHz Power PC, 1 Gig RAM

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Why doesn't he just daisy-chain the two hard drives together? Do they not have two FireWire ports on them?

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This seems the most straight-forward solution.

Don't bother buying a part, wondering if it's compatible, installing software, and praying.

Just take this squid and use it with any device you like. The best part is; if he gets a new computer with FireWire, it can be plugged into it with a snap.

4. Samaritan63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, but unfortunately, those solutions won't work...

Thank sooo much for replying, you're time is greatly appreciated, but a couple points...

1) SuperJudge:
    No, unfortunately, I don't see two Firewire ports on either of his external drives, so we can't daisy chain them, and, yeah, that would be a nice simple solution if we could. Thanks anyway.

2) MrCheeto:
    Unfortunately, I've been told by everyone I've asked, that you can't use hubs for video playback and editing, the ports have to be directly connected to the motherboard for decent playback. Again, thanks anyway!

3) I think one point is being missed here. I was hoping to find a part on Newegg.com, since he already has a credit with them, instead of asking him to pay more money to buy it somewhere else.
    I have been able to find the correct part on other sites; discontinued parts from european sellers, stuff like that, but I was wondering if anyone could identify a part being sold specifically on Newegg.com, which I'm having trouble doing. I'm just not 'savvy' enough to be able to figure out what's what on their site, I've used their 'manufacturer's list' to go to the various manufacturers web sites to look for compatibility information, and honestly, after a few hours of that, all I came away with was a headache, :(!

So I was hoping maybe someone else on this forum might have gone through this and may be able to point us in a constructive direction...

Thanks again for your time, you people are great!

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If it has to be from Newegg, this should work with no probs.

6. Samaritan63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, thanks, but...

Here's a photo of the inside of the Mac in question, see how the slots are configured, they look different from the slot on the model you provided the link for.

[​IMG]

Sorry if I'm seeming like a know nothing pain, I'm just really confused, and, well, I do sorta...know nothing when it comes to this stuff.....:confused:

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeah, as long as the cards aren't too long, then it works.

In other words, that card will fit.

Your only worry is if it is Mac-compatible =\

9. Samaritan63 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, from the manufacturer's site:
    "Supports Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP (32/64-bit) /Vista (32/64-bit), Mac OS 8.6~10.4"

So, yes, my friend is running 10.4.11, and that looks like it's going to work!

See, I would've been completely confused about the difference in slot sizes, I would've thought that it had to be an exact fit...

So, thank you so much! I'm going to order that one right now!
    You guys are great!
    I can't tell you how much it's going to mean to my neighbor to have his system finally all set up!

The guy I'm helping, he's got Multiple Sclerosis, and he's slowly losing all his mobility. As I'm sure you know, there's no cure, so he's looking at a very bleak future for himself.
    At the same time, he's one of the most creative, inspired artist/musicians I've ever met, and on top of it all, just the sweetest, most thoughtful person you'd ever be lucky enough to meet.

So 666sheep, (and for chiming in with a second recommendation, MrCheeto) you've done a wonderful thing for a great guy who's going through some really hard stuff, to help him just enjoy the time he has left, and to use it doing what he loves the most, which is being creative. For that, you have my deepest appreciation and thanks!

I'll tell him about your help, and how you reached out, to be of service when it was needed, and I'm sure I can pass on many thanks from him as well!

Next I'm going to set him up with a mic so he can use Apple's voice commands to communicate, since his fingers just don't have the dexterity he needs to be able to type out emails and real time chat messages!
    Pretty soon we'll have him zipping around the web like a teenager!

Wish me luck!
    Thanks again!
    -John

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Sure makes me feel great.

Be sure to tell him about the forums!

11. Samaritan63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep!

Absolutely! Will do!