Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMR812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I bought a basic mac pro with a 7300 GT in it, and purchased an additional 7300 GT in order to run three monitors. When I put in the extra card, I put it slot two. When I started the computer, the expansion slot utility opened, and told me that my second card was running below maximum speed (slot 1 at x16, and slot 2 at x1).

What is the best config for these two cards? Should I put the card in slot 4, and have slot 1 at x16, and slot 4 at x8, or should I leave the card in slot 2, and choose the config that gives me slot one and two at x8

Thanks for the help,

TMR

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
The card in slot one should be set for 16X and be attached to the monitor you have the menu bar on ( the main/default screen ). The other card can be set at 8X or less in one of the other slots ( as nothing that happens on any screens attached to the second card is likely to require full bandwidth )

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Yeah you would want 16x and 8x. However, i don't think the 7300 would notice a difference between a 16x and a 8x...but just in case. You may as well put it in as a 16x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.