Expectations for new Apple Cinema Display's

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Glenn Wolsey, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I'm just trying to gauge when we can expect, and what we can expect to see in the next generation of the (overdue for an update) Apple Cinema Display's.

What do you feel/know Apple should/will be including in the next update?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My (work's) priorities: Slightly more reasonable prices, better and more adjustable stands, a 24" model... and no Rev A problems with pink hues and the like. I'd like to seem them before October.

3. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I really want more pixels, but I seem to be in the minority, so I'm doubtful about higher dpi/ppi.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Why a 24" model?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Given a corresponding increase in pixel dimensions, even more room to see an A4 spread (publication design) at 100%.

I only say 24" as it seems to be another common size for some panels... I'd take a 26" if they made them or if we could afford them, let alone 30" models.

Just a weensy bit bigger than the 23" at the same price would be nice.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

26-27" is becoming more prevalent but they don't seem to offer any more pixels than 24"ers.

My own for-work wish would be 37" displays with corresponding pixel increase over 30" and priced so that I could dot them around home, office and lab like I do 24" monitors now, but I doubt that's coming anytime soon :D

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The pixel dot pitch would be higher at the same resolution. I frankly don't see the point.

Granted LG.Philips does make a 24" S-IPS panel now so it could be doable.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's 100% at print size i.e. full size, print size, not the pixel size. More screen real estate is a good thing. If you don't get it, then that's OK; frankly, I'm not here to argue about what I want or need for my job.

Print size on the Mac I'm writing this on now with a Dell 2007WFP happens to be about 125% magnification in QuarkXpress. Go figure.

9. The General macrumors 601

I want a 50" ACD with a resolution of 3840x2400. :eek:

If ViewSonic can make a 22.2" one at that resolution, then clearly a 50 incher is totally possible. :rolleyes:

10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I need one capable of displaying 4520x2540 content at full res, and maybe even having enough room for a few controls as well :)

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I see your point. It makes sense that way.

However, I can easily have two A4 pages on my 23" Apple Cinema Display.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK, well it's nice to have that. We're currently using 22" CRTs at the mo in the office which is why I'm replacing them. There's also a bunch of horizontal palettes in Quark and other stuff we use, so whatever, if Apple produce a 24" model that would be nice, not essential... please don't nitpick over a trivial point in my wishlist.

Back to the topic at hand, of course the new monitors will have to support HD in all its flavours including the DRM cabling; I forget the acronym for the standards. Higher dot pitch would be nice, don't care about built-in iSights.

An even thinner bezel would also be good, for those who use two ACDs next to each other.

13. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I'd love 2 lines of Cinema Display.
    Consumer displays in iMac white, with isight and IR for front row using the same panels from the iMac's. 20" and 24"

Pro displays in standard aluminum.. bigger resolutions, HDMI, 24", 30", 37"

But in reality all I see is iSights and bigger resolutions!

14. mrthieme macrumors regular

I would like to see consumer and pro lines as well, just to increase my chances of affording one, but I doubt that is a problem Apple is in a rush to fix. On the topic of displays though, I wouldn't mind a 1080p 42" with the :apple: tv built in.

15. schmintan macrumors regular

biezel sides that could be replaced with transparent plastic/glass!

16. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Ditch 23" and introduce 24 maybe 26, but keep the price on 23 level. No isights:eek: Oh and maybe 100$ off on 30" model:eek:

17. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

18. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Not what you'd like...but what you think is realistic, guys.
    I have the same question as Glenn so...

19. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

isights built in, maybe a slight change in the look

20. speekez macrumors 6502

My gripe with built in isight is there is no flexibility to it... want to show your parents back home a 360 of your new apartment? Try doing that with a camera built into the display. Being able to move the camera independently of the monitor is great.

I can understand it more on the laptops, as you don't want to usually carry around a separate cam.

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

37"-40". 50% increase in resolution. All displays have a hinged side bezels which can be rotated back, locked in place, and act as a connector-receptacle for a 2nd matching display. That would only leave a paper-thin .125" centerline.

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have a feeling that since the iMacs and ACDs resemble eachother in design, I think we will see new ACDs when the new iMacs are introduced (with the same design features)