Expectations of Phone Speakers

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by JaySoul, Sep 9, 2015.

1. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

So for a few months now, I've been reading that this/that phone has a poor speaker etc etc.

"LG G4 has the speaker on the back, therefore it is rubbish. Or the S6 is muffled in certain positions. It's no HTC Boomsound!"

Surely there must be trade-offs. The HTC One has huge bezels. The G4 puts it on the back in order to have tiny bezels. And so on...

Considering these are small pocket devices, what are your realistic expectations of a phone speaker?

2. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

I have zero expectations of phone speakers. I dislike those who walk on a train listening to music through their speaker and those who answer calls through their speaker.

The only sound quality on a phone that is important is the headphone output not the speaker quality.

3. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

I agree with gadget. My phone speaker is used for making a notification noise and that's it.

4. JaySoul thread starter macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I do listen to music and podcasts on my phone, when I'm doing stuff in the kitchen etc.

My G4 speaker is really good. I remember my Z3 Compact was good for music but useless for podcasts.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Agree with Gadget and nick...other than the very rare call taken using the external speaker, I don't rely on the external speaker(s), at least not for anything where I'd like decent quality. In the house I either AirPlay to an Apple TV or Chromecast or connect to Bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth speakers are very affordable as well and will always sound better than any phone speaker, including those found on the HTC One models.

6. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

The Nexus 6 has front-facing speakers and tiny bezels. That's what I would ideally want. That or quad speakers on the side bezels. I use headphones so it's not really a concern, but whenever I'm not using them I find it annoying how sound is going in a completely different direction, even when I have my hand cupped over the speakers.

7. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

The S6 speakers, I think, are very serviceable, and honestly, quite good.

I hear notifications fine; I can hear very well when on speaker phone call (usually in the car); and most importantly, it's loud and clear and crisp when using Google Maps Navigation.

Does the job and does the job well. For me, don't need the speakers to do more beyond those needs. I don't expect nor really need super high quality speakers. They just have to be loud and clear-enough.

8. mclld macrumors 68000

I dont care for a phone's speakers, I use headphones

9. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Bluetooth earphones for the win (with a microphone). ;)

I can't go back to wires. I love that my device is free from wires. Between wireless charging and bluetooth earphones, life with the S6 is great.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nexus 6 has great speakers, leaving me hopeful for the Moto X Pure and it still has a 76-78% Screen to size ratio

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

beat me to it .... Yeah it's one of the Nexus 6 biggest strengths - loud - stereo - good clarity ....