Expected Battery life on 13" Early-2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WorldIRC, Oct 3, 2011.

1. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,
    With screen at 60%, and BT off, what is the average expected battery life on a 13" Early 2011 2.3 unit?

Why do I ask? I've never gotten more than 3 or 3.5 hours battery life without basically putting a hamper on my activities (just web browsing and email primarily).

Computer is only a couple months old.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you've got lion, that doesn't help anything. You probably should get 5 hours at least though.

3. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

I am on Lion. Definitely don't see 5 hours without having to basically not touch the computer or turning the screen way down.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that contribute to battery life from a charge. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Lion isn't great for battery life right now, shortening it by about an hour to an hour and a half. Should get better with updates.

6. WorldIRC, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

14 cycles, battery health is down to 91%. Hmm..looks like that's normal.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Have A New

MBA guess it's late 2011 ( 3 weeks old) and I'm getting 6-7 hours. At first it was a little lower, but your battery will gain in capacity I'f you follow Apples suggestions on care.

Once a month at least, run it down to the reserve warning ( kicks in at 3% remaining) then allow it to fully charge.

After three or four full cycles it should have reached it's full potential. If it keeps going down then I would take it back.

8. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try calibration. My laptop was bought in June.

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It'll primarily depend on what tasks you are running on the laptop. Try running browser flash content and it'll knock 3hrs off your battery. Same story for 3d-heavy games or photo/video production/rendering software.

With 30% display brightness (5-6 bars), keyboard backlight off, wifi on, bluetooth off, doing basic (flash-less, no online video) browsing and basic productivity tasks, you should be getting around 7hrs battery life (i.e. around 6.5 to 7.5 hrs).

10. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

11. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

My Mac is classified as an Early 2011 series model. That series is still available and for sale today... It was bought new in June.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

"Early 2011" is the current generation model. Apple classifies its computer generations by when they were first introduced, not by when they were manufactured.

13. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I hear you... Well in that case the 13" 'early 2011' crop of MBP battery life are SH8T!

14. salacious macrumors 6502a

i have a 13" 2011 i5 on snow leopard, i ran logic pro from 90% battery for 6 hours until it went down to 14% youtube definitly kills my laptop tho, it heats up like a bbq or anything with flash!!

15. hafr macrumors 68030

Have you installed a flash blocker for your browser?

16. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

To go from 4 hours on a Word document to 1 just because you're watching a 3 minute YouTube clip is rubbish, even if you were on YouTube for 30 minutes, It shouldn't kill battery that much, but it does.

Not even dared to watch a film on my MBP yet either. I'm guessing the whirring DVD will kill an already dodgy battery stone dead in about 3 minutes!!

And if Lion is a bit of a battery killer, from what I hear on here, 1 hour less, then no chance of me updating anytime soon

No Flash blocker, you think that will help, always need it, Have ignored the Flash update for months too, Anyone seen any improvement with latest Flash update?

17. hafr macrumors 68030

The thing with flash blockers is that you can choose which flash objects you want to run, but you don't have to see your battery get sucked dry just because you're reading an article on a page with tons of flash banners...

Normal use for me (mail, Word, some iTunes, surfing etc) gives me about 5-7 hours, depending on how much music or film/clips I watch. In school I basically only do very light browsing, reading and constantly taking notes. I'm there for nine hours, but the computer is in sleep-mode for an hour when I'm on my lunch break. I've never had to use the charger in the library...

This on a 24 week old MBP 13" base running Lion.

18. salacious macrumors 6502a

how many charge cycles are you on? im on 42 for a 24 week old macbook its slow down a bit now that i have it on charge most of the time

19. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

can you guys tell me absolutely anything from this?

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 662
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5540
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 50
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -682
    Voltage (mV): 10920

I posted this up a few months back but didn't get a reason as to why amperage changes so much from one day to the next? Is that in anyway relevant

Last night's charge

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5557
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5557
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 34
    Amperage (mA): -24
    Voltage (mV): 12470

and then

Today's charge

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5480
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5599
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 35
    Amperage (mA): -764
    Voltage (mV): 12346

20. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

You obviously have an incorrect understanding on OS X battery reading system, so I'll lay it all out.
    Battery readings in OS X are based on current usage (i.e. how much more battery life you'll get if you continue with that pace.) So, if you watch a flash video clip, your battery readings will show time that is left if you continue with that task (e.g. you're watching a 3 min clip, it shows you that you have 1hr left for watching video clips), it does not knock your battery life down to 1hr for every other task (e.g. you watched a 3 min clip, then went back to word, your battery readings will go back up to ~4hrs)

21. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Thanks for your answer, but yes I do know exactly what that means, and why it does that reading depending on what your doing at the time. That wasn't my point, My argument was that if you were to continue on YouTube that time left would be correct. Flash/YouTube uses SO much battery.
    But still does nobody know why Amperage changes so drastically from one day to the next, 24 - 764, Nobody know what they are? and what do the other readings mean or say about the battery or MBP I'm using?

22. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have a early 2011 13" MacBook Pro and usually get 6-7 hours per charge. Depending on what I am doing sometimes up 7.5 hours. Compared to what I used to get on my less than 1 year old Windows laptop, this is like an eternity to me. Couldn't be happier.

23. boba7523 macrumors regular

Hey guys, i have a similar problem but didnt want to create another new thread.

I have the Mid-2010 13" MBP and when I was on Snow Leopard, the battery bar would display that I have more than 9 hrs idle. After Lion upgrade, i noticed it would say 4 hrs idle. Both of these are from a restart with absolutely nothing running. Why is Lion taking up so much battery?

24. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

So nobody really does know what Amperage means and why such dramatically different results from one day's full charge to the next day's full charge?