Expected life of Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vertigo50, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and a potential switcher. I have a question for those who have been in the Mac world for a while.

If I buy a Macbook Pro within the next few months, how long do you think it will be before I need to upgrade again? That is, when the software is so much more advanced, or there are incompatibilities with my Macbook, etc. Or when the hardware just doesn't keep up with the tasks that I want to do.

I'm trying to justify the extra cost of getting a Mac with the fact that it might have more staying power than a cheaper PC.

Let me know your thoughts.

2. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

It depends on how fast your needs increase, I still have old hardware alive and kicking that is over 5 years old but still as functional as they where new but they have been re-purposed.

Both a PC & Mac will loose value to you if your needs / expectations change drastically.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm relatively new (about one week) to MacBookPro myself. However, I have known a couple of friends who currently own G4 iBooks (one white and one Titanium) and have for over three years now. Those systems are still running strong, both running OS X 10.3.9 and still seem quite responsive and usable when I'm at the keyboard (this considering my main work computers are both very fast dual core machines).

And from what I've read so far, OS X 10.5 will continue to support G4s with a mere 256MB of RAM and 8GB of free disk space. So figure in another year to a year and a half of life for G4 iBooks, and you've got close to 5 years of useful life and active software support by Apple.

So, if history is any indicator, you're looking at about 5 years, if you really intend to keep your MacBookPro a long time and your computing needs don't substantially increase. At the very minimum, think 3 years for hardware support as long as you get AppleCare.

4. ElderscrollsV macrumors member

For me, they last about...8 months to 12 months...of course I'm a tech head who has to have the newst and fastest....and I do use it/ need it.....it all depends on what your needs are

5. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

That makes me feel better. I think if I get 3 years out of it, I would be happy, and anything above that is gravy.

Right now I'm using a 5+ year old PC laptop, and while it won't do everything I want, it does most of what I need. My feeling is that OS X upgrades don't place as much demand on older hardware as Windows updgrades do, as well, since it's not as bloated, and you don't have to run antivirus and antispyware in the background and all.

Also, I'm thinking I will probably wait until Leopard is out, and hopefully the new Macbook Pro with it, so that I will get the absolute newest hardware available, which should future-proof it just a little bit more.

6. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

If you can deal with a 5+ year old computer that does most of what you want I don't think you will have a problem with getting a Mac and enduring the same. You can also re-purpose a machine for casual, wife, children, or if daring a light-weight server.

As far as waiting for Leopard goes that is a mixed bag - half will say wait to save money and the other half will say that they are weighting until the first system update. The choice is up to you but I have never been bitten by Rev A hardware or software

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

this topic is so subjective its almost useless...:rolleyes:

You upgrade when you need it. not what someone else says on a forum. If you could do the things you're going to do with it now, why upgrade if you're going to be doing the same things then? You dont have to have the latest software. That said, i still use my 7 year old PC i built in middle school. I just needed something a little more portable than a full tower desktop for college.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

1 year, because that is how long Apple expects it to last.

9. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

No, actually it's not. It's quite informative. I'm not asking someone to tell me when to upgrade, I'm asking what most people would consider to be the useful life of this laptop. It's a subjective question, for sure, but the answers I've gotten have already given me a few points of reference.

If you don't like the topic, you can always just skip it, rather than give an unhelpful response. :rolleyes:

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Huh? assume joke...based on your past comments...but I would imagine newbies and others who don't frequent might not get it without a smile or something.

I have used every one of my macs for four years or more. I have not ever had problems updating my software, etc for what I use it for in each of those four years.

That being said it really depends on what you plan on using it for, how often you generally upgrade your software, how well you care for it, etc. But I will say that Macs have a longer life-span than PC's both software and hardware wise.

I know many will say PC's are great because you can upgrade them, etc. but in the end EVERYONE I know has ended up spending more money buying PC's and doing the upgrades every year or two than I do buying a new one every four+ years. NOw those family and friends of mine that don't do the PC upgrades end up complaining at about 2-3 years about software and hardware issues...ie. incompatibility, quality, etc.
    Just my opinion and other's experiences though.

11. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If anyone knows iW00t from these forums you would know he is very sarcastic. But in a good way, sometimes.... :)

12. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

while i can understand the contention that Macs last longer than PCs (especially more recent models), i don't think this is the best reason to switch from a Windows PC to a Mac.

the MacBook Pro is a Pro machine. it has features that are not necessarily useful or beneficial to the average user; i.e., someone only using their computer for Internet, chatting, and music does not need a dedicated graphics card. you will definitely be paying a premium for the MBP.

on the other hand, a MacBook is more often than not less expensive than its Windows counterparts when you include everything you get (camera, certain software you get in the OS and certain software you don't need to get (i.e., antivirus software), less hassle setting up, etc.).

if you're basing your decision on price, make sure you need the Pro model. if you don't need the Pro model and simply want it, then price obviously isn't as big a factor as you've made it out to be.

FWIW, i think you can get a good 5 years before you'll start hurting for an upgrade.

13. epiphany macrumors regular

Still using my G4 PB

I bought my Powerbook G4 Titanium (550Mhz) off of eBay in 2002. He bought it sometime in 2001. Works great running 10.3.9, and even with the 802.11b airport card, I get great speeds off of my netgear -g router. I installed a cd-rw 8 months ago, and just bought a new battery, because I think there's plenty of life left in this puppy.(especially if you shop around for good prices on parts) An inexpensive Bluetooth fob completes the package when I need to sync up with my SE phone.

I think you could get at least 6 years out of a MacBook Pro, given the Core 2 Duo and the graphics card.

I can add that I just replaced my mother's 7-yr-old clamshell G3 iBook with a MacBook at Christmas. The iBook was running 10.4, but a little slow. Rather than adding more RAM than the 375 Mb she had, I figured we'd future-proof her for a bit (she just turned 70).

14. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Don't worry, I knew this was a joke. But like any good joke, it has a certain amount of truth in it.

There are certainly many people who do buy the new latest and greatest every year, and you have to admit, Apple usually gives pretty compelling reasons to do so. Most new Macs have at least one new feature that makes you want to buy it.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree with the leopard comment unless you absolutely need a very stable machine...the first couple of releases will fix any major issues should they arise.

As far as the hardware goes- there are two thoughts out there- buy the best most up to date hardware, but pay the most. The other thought is that you buy a revision before the latest and greatest (if you can stand no having the new perks of the hardware:D ) and you often can save a bundle...just depends on what the newest hardware offers and how much you want to spend.

Refurbished and closeouts (although rare) can be great deals. I got a refurb. iMac that was one revision old and got it for 25% off the retail of the newest revision. Was worth it to me as it still has lasted four years and is still running strong!!!

16. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

you will get 3-5 years out of it depending how bleeding edge you need to remain and what you do in life

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Vertigo50

IIRC The designed lifetime of the Apple laptops are 3 years.

Desktops are 5 years.

18. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I have a 1ghz Tibook that is more than three years old and going strong. I just bought a Macbook Pro and hope it will last 4 years or so. I pass my laptops on to my kids who are in school so I get new stuff to work with and my kids have fun as well.

19. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I should have been a bit more specific in this. I'll be doing mainly film composing, so I need the horsepower. I also do video editing, photoshop, and other high-end apps, so I definitely need the MBP. Not to mention, I need the 17" screen. Why they don't give the option for a bigger screen on the Macbook is beyond me. 14" is ridiculous. Everytime I see the Macbook, it looks like one of those "email machines" they used to make 6 years ago.

So I definitely need the MBP. That decision is already made. You're right, though, it's worth considering whether it's necessary.

20. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well they come with a 1 year warranty...

That's how long they are expected to last! :rolleyes:

21. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Hey, I remember you! You used to work at the Redundancy Dept. of Redundancy, right?

That's where I used to work, and also where I was employed.

:)

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-iW00t

Is that what you think a warranty is for?

23. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Of course iWOOt does...and my TV is only supposed to last 90 days!!!!!:D

NO really, Apple expects them to last a little more than three years (really!) That is why the extended warrenty AppleCare runs out at that point. They don't make money if the computers start breaking under warranty. That is the best way to judge how long a product will last...add warranty plus extended warranty (by the manufacturer) to get the expected life span of an item.

24. N9QGS macrumors newbie

Expected life of a Macbook Pro

I have a 933 Mhz G4 tower from 2002, it still does everything I ask of it, be it video editing encoding takes a long time compared to my new MacBook (3x faster), I still use that 2002 machine daily for surfing youtube.com, email, itunes music, and garageband, web design, etc. I am running the latest OS 10.5. So if I am getting comfortably 7 years out of a top desktop from Jan 2002, and Im sure I can get another year out of it, by the way never a problem yet out of the machine except replacing the battery backup battery 3 times, runs hours per day. The prev gen MacBook pro 2.4 with backlite keyboard for $1399 is a great buy.

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

One of the things that drew me to the Mac platform in '02 was the durability of the machines.

My girlfriend left the platform during the dark days of the '90's, but her old performa still boots up and works perfectly after setting in a closet for 10 years! A friend of mine was still making a living as a writer using his G3 machines using mac os 9 software that worked just the way he wanted it to. (Since that time, he upgraded to a G5 iMac...:p) It was a refreshing change from the PC upgrade drumbeat then. Oh, and my depression era (1G) father recently got a G4 ibook to surf the internet, word processing and email, and he couldn't be happier with it; the only problem is that he has to fight my nephew for time with the machine. :D

Since the switch to OS X, intel chips and outsourced machines, I've wondered if this is still the case. Especially if Apple will drop support for power pc machines in 10.6 like everyone says.

If your needs are basic, and if you can resist the latest and greatest upgrade mania, your machine should meet your needs for three to five years. One could still argue that they hold their value better than windows machines, as any look at craigslist can tell you. People sell their 1-2 year old machines for half of what they paid for them, while apple folks think they're entitled to the original retail price minus a couple of hundred dollars!

If you don't have to have the latest and greatest, or don't use every processor cycle of your machine to make a living, you should be quite comfortable and happy with your machine well into the next decade. Enjoy!