Expected price drop for 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by appletechpro, Jul 5, 2012.

1. appletechpro macrumors regular

Hi All,

Due to my current set-up, I'm considering getting an iMac to act as a double-display with my TD display, as well as serve as a media/backup/secondary development server. Since I won't really be doing any gaming (if I did, it would be Starcraft II or Warcraft III, which I doubt are very GPU/CPU intensive) I am very interested in the base i5 2.7 model.

My question is, once the updated iMacs are released, how much of a price drop can I expect for the 2011 iMacs?

e.g. I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on the i5/2.7 base model from B&H for $1,598.00, but I cannot bring myself to pay that price for 2011 technology, as others have stated on this forum.

What could I expect the price to be on this model once the new models are released? $1,398.00 perhaps?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone plays W3 / SC2 on the 27"/i5/2.7 model, please let me know what kind of performance you are seeing.

2. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Have you looked at the 2011 iMac refurb? Currently they're going for $1000 for the base 2011 model. You can check other parts of the forum on the pros/cons of Apple's refurbs.

BTW, once the 2012 iMacs comes out. Apple will stop offering the 2011 models as new, and move them into the refurb store. This is what they did with all the unsold 17 mac book pros.

3. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Yes and No, depending where you shop!

Apples discount rate is generally between 14 and 17% for the 27" models so you should expect that reduction, for example, through Apple it's $1699 new, the current refurb prices for the previous model are showing at $1419 which is the 17% - highest in the bracket, therefore likely to be so high because a new (what is now the current) model will be taking it's place, probably at 14% discount, upon release of the NEXT iMac.

You should expect to pay between $1419 and $1499 for it based on what they currently/usually discount products with.

That said, if you know someone with a student card and you attend the store with them, Apple allow you to shop with a student as long as they personally haven't reached their annual purchase limit.

If you can find someone to fill that capacity for you then you'd be able to get the new model (provided there is no price increase) for £1499 too.

B&H photo however may reduce it further, along with Amazon and other licensed resellers, as they'll want their new (previous gen) boxed units to sell over Apples refurbished units.

So yes, from a third party reseller or authenticated store, you should be able to get it for sub-$1400.

Good luck!

----------

I presume based on price, he meant the i5 2.7 27" rather than the 21.5" as he referred to it as the 'base model', the 2.7 in the 21.5 is the higher of the two at that size :)

OP, put 27" in your title or post so that people understand correctly!

4. appletechpro thread starter macrumors regular

"I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on the i5/2.7 base model from B&H for $1,598.00" -- I assumed anyone would know that 21.5" iMacs do not cost $1,600. ;)

And yes, I am aware that Apple sells it refurbished right now for $1,419.00, but you are paying for REFURBISHED 2011 technology, so that's not the same as paying $200 less for that exact same model once the new models arrive, however short a time frame I would have for such a purchase. I hope that Apple reduces the price in their Refurbished section the day the new iMacs are released so that I could pull the trigger.

5. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Seems to be the way they do it unfortunately, if there is any stock left of two generations earlier, it will receive another discount bump!

And I know you assumed that, but ctyhntr thought you meant the base 21.5" clearly!

I'd say just pull the trigger, there's no clarification on when to expect the new ones, if you want to wait a wee while longer to see if theres a new model released with ML then hang on, I couldn't wait any longer so just bought a 21.5" and a 13" MBP for around the same price as a retina model! (thanks to a friends student card) and I don't regret it at all, they are still fantastic machines so I doubt you'd regret not waiting!

6. eswank macrumors 6502

One of the locale stores, Nebraska Furniture Mart, has the base 27" model for $1498. I want to jump on the deal but I'm really hoping for the newer models to give me USB 3.0. I have too many external hard drives that are 3.0 compatible. In store, the sales ad said it was going on until September. I'm hoping this is a sign for a refresh.

Here's the link to the site. Base 27" iMac

7. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

@eswank

That's 21" not 27". Only $1 off list price, sadly.

8. eswank macrumors 6502

Whoops. Sorry about that. I misread it.

9. appletechpro thread starter macrumors regular

lol, sounds like a great deal! :p