Expected price movement with new hardware?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LordXcalibur, Mar 22, 2010.

1. LordXcalibur macrumors newbie

Greetings all, I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks now as it's time for me to come back to Mac. I've been a PC gamer for a long time, but used a Mac when I was a journalist. I want to start writing again and was considering a netbook, then realized the Mac is what I want again.

Question:

I have researched several forums, rumours and checked the 'don't buy now' page for buying recommendations. However, my real question is regarding typical pricing when the "new hotness" is released.

Is it typical for the price of the new models to be higher than the current pricing? If I go out and buy a MacBook Pro next week, I don't mind if it turns out that I could have saved a hundred bucks or two when they start clearing out the "old" models in refurbs, but I don't want it to end up that I could have waited a week and paid the same price for a lot more.

And on the flip side, I don't want to wait months for a new revision, then find out the new models are hundreds more and I could have just bought it when I wanted...

Background:

I have a desktop gaming PC, but I know i will end up doing some light gaming on whatever laptop I choose. I use Photoshop (or maybe Aperture after I try it out) for photography, but writing/e-mail/research will be the primary use.

I want an Air, but only 2 gigs of RAM non-upgradable makes it a non-starter for me so a 13" MacBook Pro is what I'm leaning towards.

Any helpful advice?

Thanks in advance,

Xcalibur

2. February1088 macrumors member

I really hope price won't increase either

I hope a Mac forum veteran can make an educated guess for us

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

More than likely they will stay the same price.

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Apple keeps the same price points. New MBPs will immediately replace the old at the same price points and the remaining stock of old units will be sold in the refurb store at a discount.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

A typical refresh doesn't typically bump the price. If they do, it's typically slightly lower.

If Apple does more than just refresh the line with new specs (i.e. some sort of crazy new feature, new body design, etc), then all bets are off and we're not sure what they would do with pricing.

So it's just a wait-and-see game. I wouldn't expect the prices to change dramatically, if at all.