Expected pricing of SSD upgrades for the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jun 23, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I have to make a decision whether to return this or not by the end of the week. The main thing currently holding me back from complete enthusiasm is the limited 256 GB SSD. Do people have an idea how expensive these are going to be? Will they be any cheaper than the $500 upgrade Apple offers that also includes the slightly faster CPU?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one knows until they're released.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

It certainly won't be from Samsung. So if your going to upgrade later, it will be slower, less reliable and also more costly ( if you look at upgrades for the MBA )

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

take a look at the prices they are selling the Macbook air models for right now... it should be similar.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

5. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

this is total bs. owc will probably supply it, always the highest of performance, very reliable equipment with great warranties. more costly, yes.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you think OWC makes better SSD than Samsung, then keep believing it. I won't buy any SSD from OWC.

7. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

lol....
    samsung 830 512gb ssd specs from samsung

Features
    Up to 520MB/s Read Speed
    Features
    Up to 400MB/s Write Speed

$849

3yr warranty

OWC

480 extreme $729
    Reads 6Gb/s (up to)559MB/s
    Writes 6Gb/s (up to)527MB/s

5 year warranty

think what you would like, but your argument that any aftermarket ssd will be slower/less performance oriented/less reliable then your beloved samsung is just not the truth... just your potentially misformed opinion.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OWC is cherry picking test results to make themselves look better. Look at this comparison from Anandtech for unbiased data. The OWC and Samsung are pretty close either way in most tests. The OWC is a little better in some tests and the Samsung is a little ahead in others. Honestly in real world usage with a blind test, I would defy anybody to tell me the difference between two fast drives like this.

If I wanted to cherry pick data I could point to a couple of the Ananadtech tests that show the Samsung almost twice as fast as the OWC drive.

As far as reliability, we don't really have any unbiased test data to point to. All we have are anecdotes from forum members and many of those do seem to point to more compatibility problems with OWC in general than Samsung drives.

See this and this.