Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Do we expect the next video iPod to have similar screen/multi-touch as the iPhone and run Mac OS X (= pda for those who need it)?

If so do we think wireless and iChat/Skype capability?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I'm seriously hoping for a touchscreen iPod. Why do you think it won't happen? I can see the PDA stuff being left out, but the iPod part is freakin' awesome!

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I'm seriously hoping for a touchscreen iPod. Why do you think it won't happen? I can see the PDA stuff being left out, but the iPod part is freakin' awesome!

Multi-touch would really put clear-blue-water between it and the Zune and I would have thought it necessary if going widescreen which it inevitably will!

Integrating Mac OS X "lite" would also seem an obvious expansion of its usefullness without making the "iPod" use any harder.

Nice to see it mop-up those Palm, iPaq - PDA sales for those who need a PDA but would have a separate mobile (99% of the mobile market even if Steve gets his 1%), or who have a mobile music library which is too big for iPhone.

Obviously wireless PDA's can provide a useful Skype and/or iChat capability.

I see it as a logical step as Apple evolves a really comprehensive all-bases product range for people to mix and match.

splank

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I agree with the above post, I've been telling my friends who want to get a big iPod to wait, because if all the previous rumors of the full screen video iPods are worth two cents, this is how its gonna be done.

I think that basically we're looking at a thicker form factor than the iPhone (for now) and two sizes of iPod, 30-50 and 80-100 gigs respectively. I also think that with that tiny mac os x, they are gonna up the UI of the iPod to take advantage of that big beautiful touchscreen, and likewise will give it some basic PDA abilities off the bat, maybe iChat and Skype down the road. I certainly dont see them doing iChat and Skype right away, unless they add one key feature thats been previously rumored.

Bluetooth. If they do full bluetooth in this thing, we can finally get the wireless sync iPod, which i perosnally love. It also opens the possibility of Wi-Fi so you can do skype or iChat type apps at starbucks or something, but not absolutely everywhere. They cant go much further content wise, we have music, pictures and videos, but maybe, with the new screen and all, you can get basic versions of your RSS feeds inported to your iPod in the morning, and read them throughout the day using a notes type app. that would rock out loud. that also opens the idea of having books and newspapers and basically text based media on your iPod as well, and from there, the only way to get more content would be with the iPhone.

Because of that, I can see this being nearly the last iPod with really new features. After this, i just see it getting thinner with some updates here and there to the nano and shuffle. In the end though, I see all the iPods fading into the iPhone, the Video fading into the iPhone we've all seen, and the nano into something we have yet to see, and the shuffle, maybe that will hold on a little longer, but I dont see it lasting if the two pain iPods go iPhone.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i think the bigger screen and multi-touch will make it into future ipods, but i really think the question is when they will be released. i doubt it will happen before the iphone's debut in june, so how long after the iphone is released will they update the ipods? i do not know.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
i think the bigger screen and multi-touch will make it into future ipods, but i really think the question is when they will be released. i doubt it will happen before the iphone's debut in june, so how long after the iphone is released will they update the ipods? i do not know.

It really wouldnt be out of the question to release the touch screen ipod prior to the iphone. You get the UI out there for people to really start playing with. It may have a halo effect on the phone sales. For example, someone is skeptical of the phone/features/UI. However they love their ipod. They upgrade to a TS ipod (iPodTS) and fall in love with UI. Possibly drives them to iphone purchase.

One of the only reason for this to not happen is if the UI and the details are not fully developed. Maybe it will take them the next 3-4 months to finalized all of the software?

I need, well I guess need is a strong word, but could use a new iPod. I am waiting for the full screen version. I would love for it to come before my next trip overseas.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Yes, the question is when. I'd say Sep-Oct 07, in time for holiday sales.

I don't know if touchscreen iPod would hurt or help iPhone's sales, and I've heard decent arguments for each scenario.

What I do know, is that this is brand new technology. Apple's going to be burning the midnight oil just to get the iPhone to ship, and there will be suppy constraints to boot.

So, no touchy-feely iPod till the 'Phone comes a callin'.

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
I'm not sure I agree that it will be Oct 07, that seems too soon, theyre gonna be churning iPhones out like its nobodies business for the second half of this year which will do two things, firstly effectivly beta test the multi-touch software, iron out any bugs so they can release a slightly less buggy widescreeen iPod.

The other issue is manufacture, one brand new device going into production mid this year will be tough, but to put a second in would be a nightmare, particulary as they use such simular technology, therefore aving to find twice the amound of manufacturing power for the products.

hmm i might be wrong though, im really only writing on here so I don't have to do more dissertation :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.