Expensive Apple RAM - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmcbridejr, Apr 14, 2008.

1. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Why is adding extra RAM on Apple's BTO options so expensive?

Apple says that they use "special thermal pasting blah blah blah to reduce heat in the RAM so that the computer runs cooler and uses the fan less".

Is this true or just a bunch of marketing hype?

Kingston memory from Amazon seems to be so much less than what Apple wants. Is it just as good?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Marketing hype.
    Buy from a 3rd party… eg Crucial and you'll be fine and get more bang for the buck.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple doesn't even produce RAM... get one from newegg.com half to quarter the price with just as good quality. :D

4. atluten macrumors 6502

Memory from other retailers, such as Crucial, are on par with "Apple" ram. Some even guarantee compatibility with Apple products, so you don't need to worry about that issue. Cheers.

5. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Never ever buy the RAM from Apple. Complete and total rip off. You are getting something for that premium: installation and coverage under Apple's warranty. Are those things worth a 100%-300% premium? For most its no.

6. Crossbone macrumors regular

I bought 4 Gigs of RAM for my MacBook Pro, holy s***, it was 700 dollars.

NEVER BUY RAM FROM APPLE!!!!! :mad:

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

dealram.com

Go with one that is selling name-brand RAM

8. tekilla macrumors member

I got mine from Crucial and it works fine, plus it was less than half the Apple price.

Caution - Apple claim your AppleCare will be invalidated by using 3rd Party RAM, so keep the old RAM to quickly put back in incase of an AppleCare claim :)

9. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Not too many buy Apple ram. Personally I always use Crucial, I know it's not the cheapest around but I've never had any ram related problems .. :)

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That is the correct RAM for Core2Duo Macs. (you don't say what model machine you have)

Keep in mind you are buying from ANTOnline, not Amazon. I have no experience with ANTOnline.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Atlanta_Network_Technologies

One dealer I can recommend in the USA is Data Memory Systems $98 with a free shipping option and great support.

How much speed up you see depends a lot on what you are doing, but in general, 4 GB for digital audio and digital video is recommended.

12. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

I thought that upgrading ram in an iMac was OK. i thought it was the only user upgradeable part that is still covered by applecare

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

THird party memory does not void Applecare (but of course Apple does not warranty the new memory).

What the other poster may be referring to is that there have been incidents where lazy or incompetent service techs will take a machine in that has, say, a logic board problem, spot the third party RAM, and simply send the machine back saying "it's your RAM, it's bad" without working on the machine.

To short circuit that argument, some recommend to keep your Apple RAM in a drawer, and reinstall it before sending your machine for warranty service.

14. tekilla macrumors member

Sorry guys - you might want to double check that.

I spoke to an Apple rep about buying a MacBook Pro the other day and they said that if you change the memory yourself, that buy opening the case, you're voiding your AppleCare.

15. MacDuck macrumors member

Speaking as an owner of multiple Macs, all with 3rd party RAM inside of them...no apple service tech has told me that my AppleCare is void. I have been suggested to replace the 3rd party RAM with original Apple RAM when taking my machines in for service by a tech.

:)These are user serviceable parts, except for those with the Mac Mini (which takes some care to replace the RAM).

There is no possible way to tell if the RAM has been replaced with 3rd party and then put back again, at least to the naked eye (AFAIK).

I wouldn't be too paranoid about installing 3rd party RAM...just make sure it is reputable. I use OWC, as many do here on Mac Rumors. Kingston, Corsair, and Crucial are also good RAM dealers/makers as well. :rolleyes:

16. tekilla macrumors member

In which case, maybe that was just a cheeky way of scaring me into only using their $$$ memory !

They did definetly say that by opening the case to install the memory, you'd be voiding your AppleCare, but if there's no way to tell... what the hell :)

17. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

dont buy ram from amazon, go to newegg.com and get it there. They usually have the cheapest prices and fastest shipping.

18. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I've upgraded 3 of our 4 Macs here with more RAM from OWC and never had a problem. It just seems crazy to me to buy it from :apple: at their prices when you can do it yourself. (And if I can do it, then anyone can!)

19. thewinelake macrumors newbie

It's a little something for the distribution chain

Margins on some of the main kit must be pretty slim - I think Apple allows the distribution chain to get a little icing on their cake this way. Smart purchasers will go elsewhere, those with more money than sense can help subsidise the channel.

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Like the rest of the machine.

I only think it makes sense if you're buying for business or fairly critical personal use for the smooth(est under the circumstances, given the crappiness of Applecare) support for the whole system.

Which is why I always buy Apple RAM.

21. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

There's no such thing as "Apple RAM". In all the Macs I've owned, it has always been "Samsung" RAM. Besides, whenever I've bought 3rd party RAM I've decided to go with Crucial.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Then why, pray tell, do they provide a hatch on the bottom of the machine for accessing the memory, and instructions in the user manual for DIY memory installation...?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491

23. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

24. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

They'd have a pretty tough time denying coverage. Here are the Terms and Conditions

Obviously they don't cover 3d party memory. And they might be able to deny coverage if the 3d party memory caused the problem (which is pretty hard to prove).

But this provision seems to mean that if you modify your computer by adding memory per apple instructions (like those posted), then you're still covered:

Apple would have a pretty difficult time arguing that a MacBook was not "intended to be modified" by the addition of memory per the instructions provided by Apple.

25. 11800506 macrumors 65816