Expensive speakers with compressed music?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FleurDuMal, Jul 22, 2007.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting some new speakers for my Macbook. I already have a pair of JBL Creature II's, however they always sound a little thin and weak for my liking. I'm looking to shell out some cash on a more satisfying sound. However, all the music I listen to is in compressed 192Kbs AAC format. I'm just wondering whether its really worth upgrading my speakers given that I don't have my music in uncompressed Apple Lossless or straight from the CD. Will I actually be able to hear any benefit given the source is compressed anyway?

Feel free to recommend decent 2.0/2.1 systems :)

Thanks.

2. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Unless you spend $500-600 the compressed music will probably be indistinguishable.

And don't buy Klipsch.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

The majority of my iTunes library is mp3, much of it recorded live radio at 128kbps. I spent $150 on the Klipsch 2.0 system and it cranks loud and clear... massive bass power too for the price. Can't discern between AAC lossless and mp3 unless recording quality os very poor, around 92kbps. I use OSS 3D to enhance speakers for user environment, and will not ever buy another speaker system for my computers unless this one stops working. (I'm very happy.)

I also play mp3's constantly on my truck audio system of 2000 Watts high quality stuff, without missing any music. If you're only listening to 130 beats per minute thrash metal alternative, you might notice a difference. Not much imop.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

5. esaleris macrumors 6502

How high end are you going? If you're going to be using a multimedia speaker system, I'd say you wouldn't be missing too much. Even if you're using the entry-level floorstanding speakers from any of the mass-market stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) you could get away with it. If you're going with floorstanding speakers from a boutique dealer with brands like Paradigm, B&W, Monitor Audio, etc., then the answer is probably yes.

What's your price range? Are we talking $100-$200, $500-$1000, or $1000+?

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I, myself own the Logitech Z4-i speakers.
    They match my white Macbook perfectly and the sound is great, too.
    It also has a controller for volume and the sub-woofer and an extra line in for your ipod. So you can connect your Mac to it and your iPod at the same time. The speakers are also available in black and the price is good too.
    Hope I helped a little.

byakuya

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Having had and returned the Creatures for their "thin" sound, I have been delighted with the HK Soundsticks, which have a much more rounded output and still cost only around £100 if you shop around.