Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tridhos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I have an extensive music library which used to work on my iPad but now I have all sorts of problems with whole albums greyed out or individual tracks greyed out. Deleted iTunes reloaded again, latest OS, deleted library, rebuilt but still having problems syncing and yet loads off space on my iPad. These are all CDs that I own and have transferred into iTunes.
Not so long back Apple got rid of the play count, that returned but now plays cannot be reset.
It must be the only company that releases software that has less functionality than before quite apart from it not working properly.
Reading on the different forums it seems I am not alone with the above colaints
I am now looking at some other products, anything is better than this toy.

Tridhos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Just to add the response from Apple is that I should try to sync it manually. That is even worse as one of my playlist has 72 tracks of which 47 get transferred onto my iPad. Other playlists which I have deleted, reloaded never get synced to my iPad, there they are on iTunes but not on my iPad. Most of my playlists on Itunes never sync the same number of tracks across to my iPad but lots of disk space left. All that has happened is that I seem to have lost all those greyed out tracks.
Apart from the odd track I never had this many problems so its obviously their updates that are causing this affect. However why should anyone have to manually update, surely you add some songs to iTunes then connect you iPad and that should be it.
I use my ipad for language learning and only recently Apple removed the play count feature but thankfully that was put back. Now I am unable to reset the play count apparently that feature has been removed.
Apple must be the only people who think that improving their software means removing features. I thought the idea of updating software was to make it operate better and enhance the program.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
The problem might be,that later versions of iTunes,as a protection against illegal file sharing,don't accept most ripped CDs,as there is a copy protection added. Try either ripping music from vinyl records,phonograph rolls or buying it from Apple.

Tridhos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for your reply however I cannot see that being the case. Just an example I have a complete Beethoven opera on 2 CDs which I have transferred into iTunes but for some reason it just would not manually transfer into my iPad. Then this morning I tried the auto sync and the whole opera is transferred. However I have other box sets which I have transferred into iTunes and yet numerous tracks refuse to transfer into my iPad which if you have a concerto in 3 movements and you end up with 2 movements on your iPad from the original 3.
These are all being ripped from CDs that I have bought and own and wish to carry about with me on my iPad.
Its been a long time since I owned any vinyl recordings.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The problem might be,that later versions of iTunes,as a protection against illegal file sharing,don't accept most ripped CDs,as there is a copy protection added. Try either ripping music from vinyl records,phonograph rolls or buying it from Apple.

Sorry but you are missing the point. When iTunes is having issues importing a CD, these tracks won't be in the user's library in the first place. When ripping iTunes also doesn't add anything to the library but the files in the format the user specified. It doesn't add anything about a copy protection.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Copy protektion is not at all included by iTunes,it's added on the CD. So,the copy protection itself has nothing to do with iTunes,its a general protection against illegal copying of any kind,including ripping CDs regardless of if you use Mac,windows or google chrome books.
[doublepost=1493243565][/doublepost]Oh..if you want more info,please google drm protection.

macmahon70

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Brussels
When you rip your CD in Itunes, make sure that your Itunes account on the Itunes store is opened and active. That's what I do. Your CD can be lost somewhere under a different classification if not known. Do you have the latest version of Itunes?

Tridhos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
When you rip your CD in Itunes, make sure that your Itunes account on the Itunes store is opened and active. That's what I do. Your CD can be lost somewhere under a different classification if not known. Do you have the latest version of Itunes?

Yes I do have the latest version of ITunes its something I am always updating. I have no problem losing tracks as I rip my CDs which then appear in albums on my PC iTunes and these I transfer into playlists on my PC iTunes. I examine the playlist and as an example a box set of Mozart piano concertos may have around 40 tracks in my playlist, no problems seeing them on my PC iTunes play list. When I examine the play list on my iPad I find that random tracks have been omitted, they have not copied to the iPad so I am left with say two movements out of 3 of a piano concerto not just once but many times.

I never used to get this problem with previous versions of iTunes and it certainly isn't a lack of disk space on my iPad.

Tridhos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Did you try contact Apple support? They are quite nice and efficient :)

Yes I did and their suggestion was to do the SYNC manually which didn't work. Other than that they wanted me to contact them by phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.