Experian Scam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by donga, Jan 30, 2008.

1. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

Anyone get this random charge on your cc bill?

CIC*Triple Advantage 877-4816825 CA
    $14.95

I googled it and am trying to figure out what's the best way to stop this. Anyone know?

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

ummmm....

Did you go to " FREECREDITREPORT.COM " or some similar site and sign up for some kind of " credit protection " ???

Sounds like you did.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

When you sign up at freecreditreport.com or something similar and don't cancel it within a month, this is the charge that shows up. Seems like you scammed yourself

5. donga thread starter macrumors 6502a

donga

i did go there... argh. called the number and canceled... hopefully. i'll try to cancel the card too if i can. thanks for the suggestions and hopefully you guys won't be sucked into this either

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, annualcreditreport.com is the one you want...that's the one that's truly free as mandated by the government.

Experian has gotten into some trouble over freecreditreport.com in recent years...read more about it here.

I wouldn't bother canceling the credit card. As long as you cancel the service, you'll be fine. Canceling the card can have credit rating implications, so it's not worth doing unless you really need to do it.

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah, a few years back, I did FreeCreditReport for my mom, as we were looking for a house to move into (Turns out I never needed it, as the house I'm living in now the landlord was so cool he didnt care at all, as long as he got his rent, hes a really really nice fella in his mid-20s), they never mentioned this in any commerical, no fine print, anything.

It took a good period of 4 months to get those a**hats to remove it.

Now they finally mention it in the ads, but for a brief, brief second.

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Now I just pay for one per year at my own will, it seems like ALL the free ones come with some sort of pain in the butt cancellation procedure.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not annualcreditreport.com. It's the official one...free with no strings attached as mandated by the government. You can get one per year from each of the three agencies, so if you really want to keep a close eye on things, you can get one every four months as you rotate among the agencies.

10. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

My wife (god help her with computers) got this charge on our account. Make sure you follow up on this. They charged us after I had told them to cancel it. I was more ticked off than a worm on a warm sidewalk! Got both amounts refunded with a slight bit of yelling.

11. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

well that IS good to know. Thanks. I assumed they were all scams since I know so many people end up with this funky charge on their statements.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I was in the bank and a Teller was explaining to her customer ....

" The best way to insure that charge is stopped is to CANCEL the Card " :eek:

Call the Credit Card issuer, and have them cancel it for you.

If they refuse to cooperate with you by trying to tell you something like ....

" you have a contract with Eprian so we cannot cancel the charge ..... blah blah blah " CANCEL THE CARD!!!!

If your credit is good, closing a single card will not have a significant impact on your credit score. On the Credit Report that account will still show up, but will be marked as " Closed By Consumer " -or- " Closed By Customer ".

13. donga thread starter macrumors 6502a

donga

so i cancelled it through experian, then didn't trust them and cancelled the card too. thanks for the help....

but anyone notice freecreditreport.com ads on tv/ in the radio now? gonna get more people.... what a scam.

14. UltraNurd macrumors newbie

Annoyed with myself for falling for this. I had used annualcreditreport.com over a year ago, and wanted to use this year's free report, but didn't remember the domain name. Their advertising worked in directing me to their site, and I didn't read the small print closely enough - I knew I could get one report a year from each agency, and I assumed that this was it. I should have realized that a government website wouldn't see significant upgrades over the course of a year.

It's only $15, and I'm glad I saw the membership update e-mail (although unfortunately two days after the free trial expired). It's not technically a scam, because they are honest about what they are... they're just being very, very quiet about it and injecting their brand into the awareness space, associating themselves with the general knowledge that we have a legal right to a free credit report.

I'm planning on trashing this sneaky marketing behavior as much as I can online, and pointing people to the real deal.

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I fell for this recently too. **** them.

I cancelled, but I'm stuck with the $15 charge.

By the way, it was 9 days, not a month!

16. donga thread starter macrumors 6502a

donga

i'm glad this thread helped you guys out. as i was reading it this came up. talking about credit report scams will bring google ads from credit report scammers :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

QFT.

I'm amazed how many people don't know about this. I have iCal reminders to run mine and like you said, I space them out 4 months apart to keep a closer eye on things.