Experience at the AT&T Store today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinbal, Jun 15, 2008.

1. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Just figured that I would share my experience at the AT&T store with everyone today. Actually, I should say my experience at the AT&T Experience (the store in West Hartford, Connecticut) switched over to a -much- larger space, complete with Enterprise solutions area, mobile wireless section, iPhone section, u-Verse section and another "advanced TV" section for their satellite offering. Anyways..

I walked in and it was pretty dead, so I had a rep pretty quickly. I let them know that I was interested in the new iPhone when it comes out and the subsequent questions followed about wether I was due for upgrade, had an original iPhone, etc. I purposely held back initially that I was currently a Verizon customer mid-contract.

Once this information was brought to the light, the rep immediately became much more generous with what she was willing to offer. Basically if I wanted to, I could have walked out of the store on the stop with my number ported over, any phone that would have been "free" with a new contract and the ability to switch right over to the new iPhone on the 11th when it arrives.

To me, it sounds like either the reports that anyone will be able to upgrade to the iPhone, regardless of their contract status with any carrier, on launch day. I can't imagine them allowing me to walk out with a subsidized phone knowing without a doubt that in less than a month I'd be back to get the iPhone.

Anyways, decision time on when I want to pull the trigger and bounce over to AT&T. From the way lines, activation, and everything will be on the 11th, I think I might port my line over a little bit ahead of time.

2. Red Sox macrumors regular

But can we say with 100% certainty that EVERYONE will be able to get the iPhone at $199? You may want to make sure of that before you pull the trigger. I thought that recent reports showed that only people who are eligible for an upgrade will be able to get one, except for previous iPhone owners.

If the rep tells you that you will be able to get the iPhone for sure, then make sure you get his or her business card in case they're wrong.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Similar situation with my conversation with an AT&T Manager, (yes, I got the name of the manager) but I can only speak for my situation regarding my eligibility for the 3G iPhone purchase on July 11, '08. My AT&T contract is over before the 7.11.08 3G release, therefore eligible for the subsidized 3G 16GB iPhone-Black. The other (2) iPhones are eligible as well, so we are good to go! Definitely, speak with AT&T, 611 on your AT&T phone/iPhone and they should be able to answer your questions and document your call on your account. :cool:

4. Red Sox macrumors regular

Yup. Definitely get it notated on your account.

5. galactic732 macrumors member

he changed his tone bc he gets commission on your sale.

knowing that you are mid-contract with another carrier means he gets a larger commission than just an upgrade (about 2x more bc its a "new" line of service)

its good that you got your questions answered, but thats why his tone changed immediately

6. Walter P Henson macrumors member

this is relevant to my interests...so if this is true (I am with sprint now) if i switch to att like this week i can get a subsidized phone and then when the 11th roles around i can sign another 2 year contract when i buy the iphone (thus giving me a fallback phone)?

7. shecky Guest

shecky

unless this was in writing on the store's letterhead and signed by the rep and his manager i would not believe it even a little bit.

the word "trust" has no place whatsoever when referring to retail salespeople.