Experience based on the first few hours with the Late 2016 MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dashwin, Nov 26, 2016.

1. dashwin, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

dashwin macrumors regular

dashwin

New MBP: 2.9Ghz, 460, MBP 15"
    Previous MBP: Early 2011 15" MBP 2.0Ghz

Here is what I've experienced FWIW

Positives
    • Display is phenomenal, just love it . Colors just pop. Brightness could light up a small room.
    • Keyboards great , no issues with it. Type better on this and it feels hard to go back to the old one.
    • Speaker is almost too good to be true. Clarity and bass is amazing. If you use headphones you won't notice this much but if you use it around the house it's very very useful.
    • Touch bar looks and feels fantastic. It could be useful after getting used to it but does require you to shift focus to from screen to keyboard use it properly.
    • Touch ID is awesome and improves your experience significantly
    • It's lightweight and is a joy ✊ to lug around. The build enclosure, portability and processors make this very desirable.
    I had so many emojis entered on this post but it looks like MacRumors does not love emoji's.

Negatives
    • [WORKAROUND - install AdBlock] Safari kept switching between dGPU and iGPU constantly even for the lightest of loads (browsing NYT and watching a Youtube video for example). All I had to do was scroll down a page and it would switch to dGPU. The dGPU and iGPU alternating issue went away (!!!) after installing AdBlock oddly and battery life improved. Now constantly on iGPU.
    • [FIXED - re-install Mac OS Sierra] Trackpad does not register three finger swipe left/right and instead sometimes treats this as a two finger swipe. I am not referring to the three finger tap but just the swipe. It almost seems like there is a delay before it recognizes this as a three finger swipe.
    • [FIXED - re-install Mac OS Sierra] Safari appears very buggy and I had Activity Monitor crash on me -- it has beach balled when scrolling through NYT page, shows a blank space as I scroll down NYT after switching from another tab, reloads the entire page occasionally again when switching. None of which I experienced with the old MBP.
    • Battery life is too early to tell but does seem a bit low for a brand new MBP. And I'm sure the switching in and out between dGPU and iGPU significantly increased power consumption. I think it could potentially get 7 to 10 hours of light use from what I can tell so far.
    • [STILL REMAINS] Scrolling through NYT webpage has noticeable lag as others have pointed out and is jumpy (the scrollbar sort of jumps up and down when scrolling). This isn't restricted to Safari, but see the same in Photos, Finder etc. I suspect this is because of the low powered iGPU 530 and maybe unoptimized OS drivers perhaps and I hope its not a hardware issue.
    • [STILL REMAINS] Display artifacts and glitches abound. I had the title bar of Activity monitor show up as red when side swiping. Lots of artifacts when booting up and logging in. Can't place my finger on when these show up yet so don't want to speculate yet.
    So my takeaway is mixed so far. I haven't done any CPU heavy or graphics heavy workloads yet and do plan to do at some point when I get a chance.

Based on the above, it's got me thinking whether I want to take the gamble and expect these to be taken care of or just wait till a refresh with a 32GB system is out. I am sure with the next update these would likely get fixed.

But having waited this long makes that decision MUCH MUCH harder. If Apple at-least recognized these issues and can provide some explanation then I am okay with keeping it. But that's unlikely anytime soon given its so early and they are probably just compiling the data to understand what's going on.

2. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Completely agree with your positives!

What is the indicator that Safari is switching between dGPU and iGPU?
    Is that indicator consistent across all Mac OS apps?

3. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

Tested with both gfxCardStatus and plain Activity Monitor. This was all without FileVault turned on. I plan on turning it on shortly.

Also, I just installed Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2 Beta 3 in the hopes that some of these issues are potentially already fixed. Will update the post if I see any improvements.

4. ccozmo macrumors newbie

Re-install Sierra

5. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

Will do, from prior posts it looks like a few had better experiences after the re-install. Planning to do that if the Beta 3 doesn't help.

6. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

Re-installed Sierra via Recovery and it helped with the Trackpad issues for sure and also some Safari issues with seeing blank pages etc.

Scrolling still appears to be more jerky than the Early 2011 MBP (that's what I can compare with).