Experience from Genius Bar appt.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ronaldcastillo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I made an appointment for my iPad 2 to discuss the weak Wi-fi connections, light leakage, and force closing apps. The guy told me that my iPad 2 qualified for an exchange but in order for me to receive the exchange I would need to line up again and try to get another iPad 2. It was my last day within the 14 days of return, so they told me that they'll talk it over with the main manager. They then gave me their manager's business card and told me to bring that in when I plan to wait in line for another iPad to do an exchange. I'm pretty sure they did have a few iPads in the back for replacement (within the 14 days) but I don't understand why he couldn't replace it right there. Or most of the time, they would actually order one for you and once it comes in they'll give you a call back. The problem is that he didn't tell me how long more I have for the return date, so it makes me even more confused. Should I try giving the store manager a call?

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I would definitely call. If they expect you to wait in line for another one then they should have given you back your money. They should have either swapped it with one immediately or ordered you a replacement.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Waiting in line? ... I would tell him that is not gonna happen ... and is the most ridiculous solution I ever heard of.

Call the manager

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

They usually have warranty replacements (i.e. just the iPads, which may be refurbished) in stock. You just get a different iPad with that, no new box, no new cables, etc. The warranty period is one year.

If you want to entirely return your iPad (and box, charger, and cable) under the 14-day return policy, and get another brand-new shrink wrapped box with everything in it, that's the same thing they sell out of every morning. Not the same stock as warranty replacements.

Maybe the Genius was under the impression that you didn't want a warranty replacement and wanted a brand new one?

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's totally ridiculous and unacceptable. If the iPad is faulty it should be replaced under the 1 year warranty and you should have been given a new one on the spot. If it was not deemed faulty and was a regular return within the 14 days then they should have given you a refund.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

At the very least, give them low scores when you get your survey in your e mail.

I have had to do a few exchanges on my iPhone 4 because of various issues. On one of the issues I had, the guy at the genius bar refused to replace it. I don't remember what the exact issue with the phone itself was, but I was especially pissed because the refurb they had given me that wasn't functioning correctly had some pretty noticeable cosmetic damage.

I accepted the fact that they weren't going to help me, but when I got that survey in the mail I gave them a bad review.

The next day, a manager from the Apple store called me, listened to all the issues I was having, and set me up with a replacement. I didn't even have to go to the genius bar for an appointment--he gave me a number to give one of the floor guys and they just brought me out my new phone and did the swap right there.

Love or hate Apple, they seriously do listen to their customers. In my experience, if you tattle on the geniuses that won't help you, you get what you want. It's just that sometimes the geniuses decide to play god and not accomodate you. I had so many problems with iPhone 4's that they started just turning me away after awhile. My last one (the one that has been working correctly for a record 4 months straight) I had to set up with Apple Care, but they sent me a brand new, still in the box iPhone 4. New headphones, charger, everything.

Long story short (too late).......call that manager. He'll help you.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Weird. All iDevice refurbs are supposed to get brand new exterior shells and new batteries.

8. laurenr macrumors 6502a

My Husband's iPad 2 started having flaky WiFi issues a few weeks after purchase. He took it to the local Apple Store, where they assured him a new one would replace the defective unit. They took down his info, and CALLED him when it was available for pick-up, 3 days later. He absolutely was not expected to wait in line for a replacement!!

I would speak to that store manager in person. His sales associate handled your matter in an entirely inappropriate way. It's not as if you changed your mind, and just wanted a different model iPad - then it would be quite understandable for them to tell you to stand in line.

Sheesh! it makes me so mad to see how you were treated!:mad:

9. krnboy503 macrumors regular

That manager is full of BS.

Apple stores have 'replacements' in the back that are Brand New sealed only for replacements. Go back tomorrow morning, they get stock everyday (minus sundays)

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

He hasn't spoken to a manager yet. :confused:

11. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried calling Apple and asking for the manager on the business card. It seems like she wasn't working today, I'll try give a call back tomorrow. The manager seems like she's a women, hopefully she'll order me a new unit so that I could swap my current one.

12. GeekPill macrumors member

Most to All Apple Retail stores have more then one manager, and they can sort you out. Maybe the Genius is new to the Genius bar and doesn't understand that all Apple Stores have Genius Bar ONLY iPad 2's for replacements.