Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Microsoft finally updated their Office apps (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) with inking capability. I got the a[[ updates this morning after I updated to iOS 9.2.1.

Here's my initial thoughts -

Pros:
- It allows you to choose whether to draw with Pen only, or both Pen and Touch. By choose Pen only, you get perfect palm rejection.
- You are able to edit (erase and add new annotation) to documents previously made with Windows' computer, say MS Surface. All the annotations seem entirely compatible cross-platform.
- You could erase either the entire stroke or part of a stroke.

Cons:
- You could not turn off pressure-sensitive stroke in writing.
- No quick eraser access. It requires two tab to activate eraser, and then one tap to return to pen.

Reactions: PattyMc

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I like the ability to draw in shapes in PowerPoint, but would like it if they expanded it to make it easier to draw charts, etc.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm just happy it'll make annotating and signing Word documents easy as pie. Sometimes, converting them to PDFs isn't a good solution if further edits may be required.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Will it work with non Apple Pencil like Wacom Stylus?

If it requires any special support: Not really. But as long as it registers a touch it will work with the "Draw with Touch" option in the Draw tab. There's just no support for anything pressure related unless you use the Pencil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badrottie

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
One major limitation compared to the Windows version: iOS version won't let you save the ink annotations made in presentation mode :(

twophoton

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Hi,
I have been using office on my iPad Pro with the ApplePencil for some days now and have to admit it works pretty OK, although MS can still improve on the usability of the pencil when compared to other NoteTaking apps such as GoodNotes or ZoomNotes.
Nevertheless, I have one question left: Every time I try to open the Excel document on my Mac OS X machine I can nicely see the handwriting (very nice), but when I click into a field containing the handwriting I get the beach ball (30 minutes beach balling and force quitted Excel).
Has anyone an idea how to eat ipadPro Excel docs in my OS X Excel ?
Best
peter

Microsoft finally updated their Office apps (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) with inking capability. I got the a[[ updates this morning after I updated to iOS 9.2.1.

Here's my initial thoughts -

Pros:
- It allows you to choose whether to draw with Pen only, or both Pen and Touch. By choose Pen only, you get perfect palm rejection.
- You are able to edit (erase and add new annotation) to documents previously made with Windows' computer, say MS Surface. All the annotations seem entirely compatible cross-platform.
- You could erase either the entire stroke or part of a stroke.

Cons:
- You could not turn off pressure-sensitive stroke in writing.
- No quick eraser access. It requires two tab to activate eraser, and then one tap to return to pen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.