Experience pre-ordering through AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYY FaN, Sep 9, 2015.

1. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

How has AT&T handled their pre-orders in recent years? I typically do mine directly through Apple and always get mine on launch day. Thanks to the new policy, we can only pre-order using a 2-year contract through AT&T. Frankly, I don't really trust them with getting one for launch day.

2. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered through AT&T last year and didn't have any issues. I was one of the lucky few that got in early and got my phone on launch day. Now with the restrictions on the 2 year contracts, they may have a lot more traffic this year.

3. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I have the same concern. I've been ordering through Apple direct for years while renewing 2 year contracts. I'm on a 5 line family plan, what's my best bet this year?

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Fine. Try to line up at both Apple and AT&T if possible.

5. barry.wiestling macrumors member

I visited AT&T's website and I don't even see the iPhone 6S listed on the front page as "available for pre-order". I'm wondering if it won't be available through AT&T for pre-order this year.

6. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I'm on the same boat. Purchased directly from Apple every year since the original iPhone.

Is it better to preorder with AT&T online or in person? Do stores usually know how many they'll receive before preorders start? Do they even take preorders in store?

I'm tempted to upgrade one of my lines via Apple, in case AT&T fails me, but the monthly cost via Apple will be doubled since they don't offer Next + down payment, which is probably the option I want to go wth.

I have a feeling preordering via AT&T will be worse this year, since so many of us are being forced to do so. Hopefully Apple's new preorder program combats that a bit.

7. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

It will be available to pre-order on September 12th at 12:01am PDT.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

A few years back, I "pre-ordered" from AT&T. NEVER AGAIN. Not only did I not receive my phone on Launch Day, it was stuck in fake pre-order limbo. They had no idea when it would ship and it took me over two weeks of calling every few days just to get them to let me cancel the pre-order. I finally was allowed to cancel and I walked into the Apple Store and bought it there. Although I don't really want to use Next, I'd rather do that than ever deal with AT&T's pre-order nightmare. (I believe this was for the iPhone 5)

9. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I pre-ordered through AT&T last year using Next 12 month and it was slick as butter. Received my phone launch day no problems. I am worried that this year will be different though due to possible Next issues.

10. lsh macrumors 6502a

I'm also interested in AT&T ordering tips. Did the app or website work better last year?

I have NEXT and my 12th payment is Aug 27, but the way my billing is, I can't actually pay it until after 9/15. I can only use Apple if 12 installments are paid - or that's the way it looks. So since I have 1 payment left, I can't order thru Apple. It appears that only way to pay it off thru AT&T online is to pay the remainder of 20 months. I'll stop in tomorrow but I'm not hopeful I can just pay up the 12th month payment.

11. mantan macrumors 68000

I've ordered through AT&T since the 4, never had a problem - always got it on launch day.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

I believe you can make a payment at the store for one month...and I believe you can prepay any amount on NEXT at anytime.

13. mb2008 macrumors regular

They will let you pay just the one month, call customer service.

14. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

My experience when I pre ordered the 4 was terrible. Ever since, I went to apple,and haven't had a glitch yet.

15. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I did exactly that, went into the ATT store to pay the one remaining payment. I couldn't do it because it is tied into trading the phone on the spot. So I too have one payment remaining which they have told me can be paid off at the time I pre-order! I believe, but don't know this for a fact, that you can initiate your pre-order through Apple but they make you go to the ATT website to make the balance payment. That's why Apple is now requiring that you have the special ATT password because I think it's all tied together. Don't quote me though, just that I tried a pretend upgrade through Apple last week and that's what it looked like.

16. bigcat macrumors 6502

So is Apple not offering the two-year contract option? I am eligible with AT&T but Apple is only currently showing me the the installment plans as options.

17. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Nope not on Apples site.

18. lsh macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's true. I tried to order a iPhone 6plus just as a test and it says I have to go to AT&T and pay off my eligibility balance before I can buy thru Apple.

19. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You can do it on the AT&T website, but it's not very intuitive. Go to upgrade options, then select any phone as if you're going to upgrade now. It will then give you the option to make that 12th NEXT payment. It's a separate transaction, so don't worry, you won't be stuck with a phone you don't want. Then just stop and don't complete the phone purchase. You're now eligible for a new NEXT upgrade.

20. patrickpiteo macrumors member

Ordered through ATT once last year and never again. Waited 2 weeks even though I had ordered at midnight. Could hardly find out status.

21. CoriG macrumors 6502

I had the same horrible experience trying to pre order through att. I have the unlimited data and do not want to give it up, but last year was horrible and having to preorder through premier site made matters worse.

I am actually tempted to just buy the phone out right or doing the next program and paying it off within a month. The thought of paying 400 extra to avoid att seems silly, but my phone is sold and I need to send it in asap.

22. lsh macrumors 6502a

That is slick. Thanks. I was with online AT&T cust service getting nowhere.

23. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Well the real story is AT&T is not allowing any retailer, including Apple, to sell the iPhone to customers with the 2 year contract. It was AT&T's call and not Apple (or any other retailer for that matter).
    Not sure about AT&T's motive in doing this though.

24. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

When preordering on AT&T's site, does it tell you when a certain model is out of stock or do they continue to take preorders and ship them at a later date without initial notice?

In other words, if you get a preorder in when it goes live, are you pretty much guaranteed to get one on launch day?

25. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I don't have an answer but that's a very good question. And one I'd really like to see a knowledgeable answer to.