Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrrdnx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Indiana
My late 2008 MBP has been running very hot (with a virtual machine running the other night, it got up to 175F/80C) so I took it in to an Apple Authorized Service Provider today about an hour ago. After reading some of the threads on here about the thermal paste, I figured I'd at least have an AASP look at it first since it's still under warranty. The gentleman there told me it'd be middle of next week before he'd have a diagnosis. Is this a normal timeframe? I guess I assumed that they'd just take a look at it right away or at the latest I'd have to stop back in later today to pick it up, but that's almost a week away just for the diagnosis!

I work in Fort Wayne, IN, so I'm 3 hours from the nearest retail store in Indy, or closer to 4 for Chicago, so this is my only option.

Also, for anybody else who has used any of the AASP's in Fort Wayne, do you have any recommendations or experience you can share? The two I found that actually looked OK were Macanix and Signature Mac. Thanks in advance!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I've used one once for a faulty HD. It took about 5 days for them to attempt a recover on the HD and to replace it. Though it may not look like it, they may have a lot of machines they're working on. Also, depending on the number of employees, they may only be able to work on hardware a couple hours a day. Simply depends on the store. I was happy with the results even if it took longer than I thought it should.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
AASP are no different from the Apple Store/Genius Bar - they're just an extension and another option to go to if there is no Apple Store in the area. Like the Genius Bar, they probably have more than a few clients so it's perfectly normal to have your computer there for a short period of time before they get it back to you.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
I've actually never heard of anyone getting TIM replaced by a service provider, but maybe they'll do it. Just don't be surprised if they say there's nothing wrong. 80C is within spec if the processors are maxed out for extended periods of time.

That said, I've had good experiences with a local place in town (Lafayette, IN). If they need parts, remember they have to order them from Apple.

jrrdnx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Indiana
Ok, so today has been exactly 1 week since I dropped it off. I'm going through Mac withdrawal here :(

The guy said it'd be middle of this week but I haven't heard anything yet. Should I give them a call to see what the status is or am I just being too impatient??? :eek:

Update:
So I was able to control my withdrawal long enough and got a call this afternoon that it was ready to go. They ended up completely replacing the logic board and heat sink. My MBP now idles around 95-105F, and running the same intensive tasks that got it up to 175F degrees before I took it in now only gets it up to around 140F. Still under the original 1-year warranty, so I didn't have to pay a thing, and the staff at Signature Mac was extremely polite and helpful. The gentleman who called me to let it know it was fixed even offered to stay a little late because I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it by 5 before they closed. A great experience, and I'm really glad I took it in instead of trying to fix it myself! :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.