experience with logi z2300 or klipsch promedia 2.1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eternal905, Jul 19, 2007.

1. eternal905 macrumors newbie

Im stuck on which 2.1 speakers I want now. I am leaning towards Z2300 but reading that Promedia can out perform midranges, i kinda want that too. I mean can I really tell the difference or its very subtle. I read that Volume Logic solves its. What about for movies? is there a difference?

I've heard that Klipsch has aux or mainly the flimsy DIN cable problem or even within a yr people experience some kinda problem with it. I really do find that an issue, should i be concerned about this or should i ignore these problems? Is the DIN cable that delicate? i read somewhere that someone killed it after just trying the clean underneath the sub. So far i haven't really read anything bad about the z2300s besides the lack of tweeters.

I'm mostly looking for speakers for movies and music. I do gaming once in awhile so.. yeah i do everything on my computer. Right now I'm using Creative I-trigue 3300 and I'm not complaining, but i just want something new and better.

so what do you guys think?

2. Nanaki macrumors member

z2300

I got my Z2300s for my MBP back 2 months ago, and I have no regrets. I was moving up from some basic Logitech 2.1 speakers. Both sound good, but the volume and clarity the Z's get is great. I wish it had more mid, as I'm not a gamer and I'm not watching movies with these, just listening to music (Radiohead, folk, indie, 80's). The bass is HUGE! (a little TOO huge, as I'm not listening to much rap.) I didn't test the Kilpsh (sp?) ones but I tested a few others. If I didn't live in an apt, I'd crank these up a lot more. Pretty good!

The only thing I could think of that would be better for my needs (audio recording, mixing, mastering, rocking out) would be some studio monitors. Now THAT would be sweet. Hope I could assist you.

M.Ocean

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've had my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's for over six years now and I've had no trouble with them whatsoever. While certainly not the nicest looking set, they're pretty loud. It's a shame really that Klipsch decided to discontinue most of its Promedia lineup. I've got my 2.1 setup hooked up with two of Klipsch's SWS subwoofers. I really wish I bought more of these SWS subs before they were discontinued but the shipping to Hawaii was just a killer.

Attached Files:

4. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm .. anyone else who like to share their thoughts?

5. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

I purchased two sets of 2.1s five or six years ago and I haven't had any problems with them. I didn't realize people were having so many issues. They sound fantastic. They're the only computer accessory I have purchased that I have never even considered upgrading.

If you're looking at Klipsch speakers, stay away, far, far away, from the GMX series. I installed a set in my bathroom and they're not even worthy of bathroom duty.

6. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just went to my local best buy and saw the promedias myself, unfortunately they didnt know what was wrong with their display models. But i did check out the DIN cable. i looks like a s-cable, i can see why it can be flimsy, its pretty thin and if someone were to nudge it a couple times it'll probably break or damage the the pins.

Im still in circles right now.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The Klipsch pro medias aren't the prettiest, but their sound is phenomenal. If I were buying a set of speakers right now, I'd get them.

8. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm.. any other suggestions? people that owned a promedia for more than a year have any problems?

9. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I've owned my 2.1 ProMedias for 2 years, ZERO issues. They sound great; aren't the sexiest-looking as mentioned above, so if you're a fashionista, you won't like that aspect. I won't be buying new computer speakers until/unless my Klipsch's go kaput...I don't see that happening anytime soonas they are very solid to me.

10. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm yea i saw them they didn't look that attractive.. thats why i kinda leaning towards the z2300. I mean if the promedia's are that great i'll get em .. but going thru amazon reviews and klipsch's forums its just the minor or can be major issues that worries me to back away from them.

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Count me as another vote for the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. I've had my set for about 5 yrs now and I've never had a problem with them either. I have no experience with the other brand so I can't comment on them. I'll be keeping these until they work no longer. The sound on these are excellent, and thats what we buy good speakers for. If you can find a location that has them out where you can test them, that might set your mind at ease. Best of luck whichever product you choose. :p

12. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm definitely one who cares about his sound and audio, and have only bought the finest audio products, and can definitely recommend the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

Amazing sound for computer speakers, and while I prefer to use a receiver and wire my B&W's up (very rarely), the Klipsh are great for my computer use and movie watching.

13. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm i think ill go for the safer side and get the z2300s. I dont want a best sound system and then poop on me within a few months to 2 yrs.

Its a better sacrifice i guess, despite that the z2300s don't sound as good considering if ill be able to know notice the significance between whats sounds and not. They may be more reliable and their wires seem more durable, and the design attractive.

14. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm well seems like a few people here has no problems. So then what's up with these people complain about the amps and DIN cable? some even complain they don't even touch it and they still break ! is this possible?

And about the power switch...Do most of you actually power off the speakers or just leave them on all the time ? I leave the computer on "forever" so i usually leave my speakers on as well.

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

My Promedia 2.1's have been powered on five years and counting. I'd probably turn them off more often if the sub and the power switch on the back wasn't buried under my desk.

Edit: I can't explain the problems with the DIN cable those customers were having but I'd like to think that they are in the minority.

16. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My speakers stay on all the time unless I'm cleaning around the desk or moving them about for some reason.

I can't explain why some have isssues and some don't. Possible that what you're seeing is the same as you see in this forum, where mostly ppl with problems will post asking for help whereas ppl that have no issues don't really have a reason to post. All products will have some defective units, thats just a fact of life.

At any rate, good luck with the Logitech z2300's. Post back and let us know how you like them.

17. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I'll probably get teh z2300s. i can always tweek the EQs or use Volume Logic to improve the performance.

I'll Probably get it ... next month maybe ? lolz Not even sure if I'll come back here. I just came here to look for answers just for this topic specifically haha.

18. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm one more question. i was wondering how does the z2300 sound like at lower volumes ? cuz i do play music at later hours of the night. is there still too much bass ?

19. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I've had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's for a few years, and I absolutely love them. The GMX's are nothing compared to them, so don't be fooled.

20. eternal905 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm.. alrites i got the promedia THX sets... I was tempted. LOL since they have couple in stock in my local Best Buy for $159 USD, I wanted to test them out before i actually ordered a set online. But I'm not sure if should return them for a cheaper price and plus a 2 yr extended warranty with the store and it would be still the same price at Buy.com $133 USD. I was planning to get the z2300s but Circuit City didn't seem to have any in stock so i said screw it.

But about the speakers. They seem huger than my Creative speakers, very bulkly compared to my I-trigue 3300 sticks. Other than that, it sounds nice i like the bass i can really tell the difference. As far as sounds its hard to tell but my uncle says its crisp and richer than my creatives. I wished i have a head 2way headphone jack and test them side by side. But even without volume logic is sounds pretty dam good .

For movies, I don't even have to put my volume up more than 50% for it to be loud compared to my Creatives its stil low at 50%.

I have yet to try games.

As far as the control pod it doesn't seem to matter if i have the wired remote that i prefered. The speakers stick out closer to my mousepad so i don't worry about reaching.

And about the DIN cable.. its seems almost similar to the I-trigues remote cable. So I overlooked the cable problem that most people seem to have or some.

So yeah.. I don't know if i should order them from Buy.com with the extended warranty for 2 yrs for 163USD and return these which were 163 without the warranty.

Over all i like them. :p Just hope these can last forever

21. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Good buy on the Promedia 2.1's. I use Octiv's VolumeLogic and it makes this already great speaker setup sound even better. There are certainly other speaker sets out there that look a lot better but I like the simple design of the Promedia's satellites.

22. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Although you didn't mention these in your original post, I thought they'd be worth suggesting. In my experience, the Logitech Z-5500's the best 5.1 speaker set out there today. The trouble is finding one, though. Newegg still has some available here, but they've since gone up in price.

Sorry, I'm an idiot, and I apparently can't read. Didn't realize the z2300's a 2.1 set, nor did I notice the 2.1 part of the title.