Experience with OWC Mercury Extreme Pro RE SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jun 5, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Not good so far.

1. Couldn't clone in Voyager Q. drive keeps unmounting as soon as the clone
    starts.

2. Was able to clone in a cheap Rocketfish USB enclosure

3. Put drive into i7 MBP and I couldn't get past the languages screen in the Install DVD or my own SD card. Just wouldn't let me check the right arrow button.

4. Put back my X-25M 160. Machine boots fine. Tried partitioning the SSD in the Voyager Q and it fails every time.

OWC is sending me a new drive to try next week and I'll report back how that turns out.

2. Beninho macrumors newbie

Same problem here.

Exactly the same.

With cheap usb enclosure i could partition it. And send small files to the drive. But when I tried to send larga (over 100 mb) to the drive it just unmounted.

Same with Snow leoard install. I could not format and copie snow leopard to the drive.

Drive shipped back to OWC, I hope they send me a fully tested drive back.. Because is live in the netherlands so shipping it not cheap ;)

3. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Seems to be a common thing with the sandforce controlled drives. Maybe just install all of your apps and pull your data over manually?

4. spcedog macrumors newbie

Mercury Extreme Pro 120 GB was okay

I just put in the Extreme Pro 120 GB (not RE) version. I was able to partition and install off the system restore disks with no problem at all. I can't comment on the cloning, but everything seems to be going alright so far...it's so fast I love it! :D

5. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am receiving another drive from them today.

If I ran Integrity tool from Speed Utilities I observe that it errors soon after starting the test. So I expect not to see that with the drive i'm receiving today.

Cloning with the new drive now and I think we may have a winner

So far completely different experience from the last drive.

6. Beninho macrumors newbie

That is the one I bought too, I'am kind of jealous that it does work for you ;)

I'll let you guys no when the owc sends me the new drive. I'll tell how the install went off.

7. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this drive seems to be working more ways than the previous one. However bad things happen when I have another device in my firewire chain. For whatever reason I do have issues when my Time Machine drive (G-Technology drive) is in my chain.

8. Beninho macrumors newbie

Well Guys, i recieved the new drive.

Lame! It has exactly the same issues as the previous drive :mad:

Terrible, they did not even test it before the shipped a new one... then it wouldn't have any problems.. :eek:)

1. I'am able to parition it.
    2. I'am able to mount it. (even with usb)
    3. I'am not able to install snow leopard to it.
    4. When mounted with usb i cannot send files to drive. Will unmount.

Support from owc is terrible at the moment. 1 email/24h. Without constructive answers.

--not happy now :confused: --

9. doctortee macrumors newbie

hi all,

do the problems with the owc mercury extreme still exist or could they be solved meanwhile? i'm looking for a good alternative to the x25-m for my new mbp 13 mid-2010...

thanks for your replies,
    torsten

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...interesting, I thought these were supposed to be the best SSD's now for mac's?...

11. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

My first one was a dud but I've not had any issues with the second one that I was sent.

12. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

I don't get it, I had -no- problem cloning my hard drive onto mine. Beginners luck? Never happens to me :)

13. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

OWC weren't very good and getting back to me as to why the earlier drive had so many problems but it was around the time of a firmware upgrade.

14. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Ah, so they are shipping some defective drives, that explains it.

It was luck :)

15. OneCent macrumors newbie

i just installed a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240 without any Problems. I have used carbon copy to clone the disk and thats all... no problems until now.

16. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

No company is perfect which is why the drives have a three year warranty (or five year for the RE). Yes I agree it is very frustrating to get a defective drive although as long as you are given a replacement that does work at no cost, then it reflects well on OWC in my view, no?