Experience with Phantom Skinz on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bootsie, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am just looking for some opinions on experiences with the Phantom Skinz Matte skin for MBP.

I am trying to decide between Wrapsol and Phantom Skinz, I want matte because I love the look and feel.

I currently have a matte Phantom Skins Film on the back of my iPhone 4 and I love it, I tried wrapsol and had some bad experiences with getting lots of bubbles that just wouldn't come out. (It was not the installation it was a known problem with their skins when the iPhone 4 was new, I am not sure if they have fixed the problem...) But I do not have any experience with either of them on the MBP.

I don't want that experience to prevent me from getting the best thing for my MBP :) I like the the Phantom Skinz covers the sides, but I just want the one that will stay on the best without peeling or discoloring. So I am looking for personal experiences.

Thanks!

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I don't have experience with the matte Phantom Skin but I do with Wrapsol. I prefer the feel of Wrapsol over something like the Zagg Invisible shield. I've Wrapsol'd the palmrest and trackpad of both my 2010 and 2011 MBPs and don't have any issues with bubbles.

3. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

4. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Anyone? There have to be people who have some experience with these products... What about extra heat? Will these types of skins cause heat issues?

5. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I hadn't responded before because I have not used either of the skins you were asking about. But on the heat: I have a bestskinsever on my 2010 MBP 13". I installed it when the machine was new, so I can't do a direct comparison, but my machine does not seem to run hot at all.

Right now I have 12 tabs open in Firefox, plus a couple of other low-demand programs. CPU is at 42º C.

As I said, I can't say if it would be cooler without the skin but it does seem to run plenty cool now. The exhaust comes out at the back of the hinge, which is not covered up.

I know that the aluminum is said to dissipate heat, but on the other hand, a good friend of mine has a unibody plastic Macbook bought around the same time as my MBP. Same CPU, same graphics, same everything really - except I have 4g of RAM to the MB's 2g. When we are video chatting and have all the same programs open, his machine tends to run about 5º C cooler than mine, and clearly he has no bare aluminum dissipating the heat (his MB seems to run very cool compared to what I have seen published).