Experience with Refurb MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by II AndyG33 II, Aug 1, 2008.

1. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Just wondering if anyone on the forums has bought a refurb MBP.

Is there a chance that a scratch will be on the unit?
    i really like the hardcore tests that the refurbs go through
    but i really don't want to get a mbp with a scratch on it :[

2. Mirrorball macrumors member

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I've heard nothing but praise about refurbished apple products.
    I wish I could have gone the refurb route, but was misinformed that brick and mortar stores carry a few refurbished machines. oh well!

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

You're less likely to get a bad refurb than a bad BNIB one.

5. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

So far no issues for me. I plan on doing it again on my next purchase.

If you are into the whole unboxing ceremony you will be disappointed since it comes in a brown box with black print.

When I learned that the warranty coverage was the same as a new one I jumped at the oppertunity.

6. FLAVAH macrumors member

i never bought a refurb mbp, but i bought a refurb 12" pb. it was awesome, practically brand new condition. plus, it comes with a warranty directly from apple! like someone posted above, the only drawback is if youre into the whole apple packaging because it literally is a brown box. haha

7. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

This is my first Mac, been working with Windows and other systems since around 1990. I have always found it amusing how important the packaging is in the Apple community. So when my MBP refurb showed up at the door in the brown box I literally laughed out loud.

I had visions of a hardcore Apple enthusiast going into full spasm once learning this.

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Buying refurb is always a good idea. They are treated like new by Apple. If it comes out of the box with a scratch on it, they'll replace it, just like they would if it came out of a new one's box. Your warranty starts on the day you buy it so you have 1 or 3 years of coverage, also without any changes between how it would be treated if you bought it new.

If you can get over the odd stigma of it not being new you can save a good bit of money if you find what you're looking for as a refurb.