Experience with Refurb MBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I'm not looking to buy a new laptop, I just got one, but I'm curious about the Refurb Macbook Pros. They seem to always be a pretty decent deal, coming with a full warranty and such, but what has been peoples' experiences when buying refurb from Apple? On another thought, what exactly does refurbished deter? Is it basically slightly used and repaired internals with a brand new outer shell?

If everything checks out with refurbs, I see no reason not to recommend them over the newer models for people with a limited budget that want a new, or like new, Macbook.

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

My most recently purchased MBP was a refurb, and I've also had a couple refurb iMacs in the past. They're a very good value, and generally you can't tell the difference between a refurb and a new one. I've heard people say that they replace the outer shell, but I'm not positive. They repair anything that needs it, and some people say that it's even better than buying new because the computers get looked over more carefully. Mine was in perfect condition when I got it, and with the full warranty on it you really don't have anything to lose.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agree totally, mine is a refurb too, but unless you asked to see the box it came in you would never know it wasnt new.

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I know you're asking for personal experiences with refurbished MBP's. For the most part you will find positive experiences from MR members who have gone that route. I may be in the market for another Mac soon and I plan to buy a refurb to save a few bucks.

Here's a good article from Macworld Buying Guide: Refurbished Macs. It also includes comments from some refurb purchasers.

5. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Thanks for the responses....glad to hear that everyone so far has had good experiences with refurb machines. Most users aren't going to need a lot of power, they just enjoy macs because of the hardware and the ease of use, and recommending a refurb mac seems like a good idea.

My parents, for example, would never even notice the difference between a 2009 Macbook Air and a 2012 rMBP. They do, however, use Macbooks because they claim they're easier to use and the good battery life. No need for them to spend $1000+ on something they don't really need.