Experience with Sprint iPhone 4S - Jumping ship for AT&T again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnonymousMacs, Oct 18, 2011.

1. AnonymousMacs, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

AnonymousMacs macrumors newbie

I don't normally post on forums ... but when I do ... haha

I recently switched over to Sprint from AT&T when they denied my upgrade request. I figured a prorated termination with a $200 upfront cost for the new iPhone was cheaper than paying for an unsubsidized phone. Well... this was a huge mistake.

I had problems right from the beginning when the Apple store (and Sprint associates) could not activate my phone for well over two hours. This was on launch day where I had waited two hours already to get in the store. I had to leave the store and come back because Apple's credit card terminals were down at the time I checked out. When I left the store, I felt really confident that I made the right choice to switching back in spite of all the activation horrors. I'd be on the same network as the rest of my family and I got unlimited data to boot. AND I finally had service in my deadzone of an apartment! I should be grateful, right? Well not exactly.

I've been using the 3G data on the phone and it's abysmally slow. I've averaged around .5 Mbps down which is better than what I got before in my apartment with AT&T. That being said, every else it's still slow and pales in comparison to AT&T's speeds. It's especially annoying when I hear that other AT&T customers are getting at least 2 Mbps with the 4s.

I just got off the phone with Sprint about the data speed issue and an odd intermittent buzzing sound that happens during voice calls. The associate basically couldn't do anything for me. I'm thinking the phone might be defective so the buzzing sound is probably isolated to me, but the data speeds are not. The associate said that Sprint is working vigorously with Apple on correcting these data speed issues which is all well and good, but also BS. AT&T and Verizon aren't having these issues albeit they've had the iPhone longer. But this shouldn't be an excuse because both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. Seems to me that Sprint's network is just subpar and janky. The associate could not provide a timeline for a solution to be reached and this was the most concerning. All she could say, after I pressed her, is that they will reach a solution - eventually. This probably means after my buyer-remorse 14 day window. If they don't shape up by Saturday, I'm jumping ship and switching back to AT&T when I get back to the DC area - even if I can't use the phone in my apartment. (I'll probably get them to give me a Microcell).

Lastly to top it off, I've been having trouble with Siri. She's having trouble connecting to the network haha.

Basically, the gist of the story for those who don't want to read all that is this: Sprint's data speeds are horribly slow and the timeframe for a solution is unknown. A solution may never be reached...

On a semi-unrelated note, I sold my old iPhone 4. So if I want to reactivate my contract (and get my unlimited data plan back) with AT&T, will I have to buy an unsubsidized phone? Or can I pay the termination fee, start a new contract (and hopefully retain the unlimited data), and get a new subsidized phone? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

See the attached image for the data speed test results.

Attached Files:

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

To say a solution may never be reached, after only 4 days into the launch, is a bit impatient. I'm not on Sprint, but if I were, I'd be inclined to give it a little more time than a mere week.

They have a very large influx of new customers and old customers who bought an iPhone. There are bound to be growing pains.

The fact that a random CSR couldn't give you any info says nothing about what the technicians are actually doing to get the ship up to speed.

Clearly you chose Sprint for a reason. Id give them a shot at making it right if I chose them for a reason.

Not to mention, AT&T is most likely not giving you your unlimited data plan back.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And it really depends a lot on location. I have no problems with Sprint where I am.

4. AnonymousMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm definitely within network coverage for 3g so no excuses.

But to respond to your post, I think that's a fair point, but I would hope that they get the network up to speed within the two week period. If they don't, it raises red flags for new subscribers who are not used to the slower speeds.

As for AT&T giving me my unlimited data plan back... haha. Hopefully that works out because if not then I'm screwed. But realistically, I rarely ever went over 1.5 GBs in my billing cycle.

5. denness544 macrumors member

Sprint's data speed is horrible for me as well. I used to have an AT&T iPhone 4 then jumped ship to Sprint for an Android phone. I couldn't take their 3G speed and WiMAX was a joke. So I switched to Tmobile and their hspa+ was heaven. Now I am back to Sprint with the iPhone 4S and now remember why I left Sprint in the first place. Most of my friends have Sprint and have been suffering from 3G that is bare even usable for awhile now. I am really thinking hard about going with AT&T for my iPhone 4S.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.772173,-117.893574

6. AnonymousMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha you feel my pain. It's worth noting that I'm in a good coverage area too. I'm either in the DC area or in Charlottesville area, both of which are covered by 3G. I was with Sprint a couple years back with a Blackberry, but never noticed the slower speeds. Then again the networks were never this congested and the Blackberry browser was unusable. I feel bad for ranting about AT&T now that I've seen the speeds on Sprint.