Experience with the best buy iPhone 4/4s trade-in? Trading in 8gb iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone46, Jun 21, 2013.

1. iphone46 macrumors regular

I was planning on trading in an iPhone 4 16gb Verizon for a verizon iPhone 5 16gb for another family member on my plan at best buy . My wife currently has the white iPhone 4 8gb and is out of space. Can I give them her white iPhone 4 8gb(after putting the 16gb on her line) and still get the $150(it's in perfect condition). I just wanted to make sure I would receive the full $150 even though it's a smaller capacity. Also, has anyone found any hidden catches in the trade-in program?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Did you click into Best Buy's site?

They have a tool to find the approximate value they'll give you based on phone model.

I highly doubt you'd see the full $150 for a 8GB iphone 4.

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

This is not tied to the regular trade-in program. For example they were not offering $150 through the usual program for my wife's old Verizon iPhone 4. Basically they are bumping up the trade in price to match the iPhone 5 price.

All I remember seeing was that you could bring in any working 4 or 4S, I did not see any mention of capacity. I would call and ask though. I also remember it said if you have a phone that is worth more then $150, you would get a gift card for the excess.

If you have a 16GB iPhone 4, especially a Verizon one, this is not a bad deal.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Fair enough.

OP: going to Best Buy site still results in seeing this:
    The "minimum" seems pretty clearly stated.

5. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

I did something similar during the first promo several weeks ago: my wife was eligible for an upgrade to her 8GB iPhone 4. My daughter, who had a 16GB iPhone 4S, was able to use my wife's upgrade to get an iPhone 5 (in the process, giving my wife her iPhone 4S). Everyone got an upgrade from their present phone.

Right now, I think BestBuy's (and Apple's) imperative is to clear stock. Don't know if they are doing this solely to prepare shelf room for the next iteration (whatever its called) or whether they are re-using parts or materials. Whatever the reason, everyone seems pretty aggressive about buying these units back. For that reason, I don't think you'll have any problem getting the full $150, if not more. The question for you, though, is what you will have to come out of pocket for for the iPhone 5 16GB. You get a $50 instant rebate + the $150 trade in gift card for a total of $200. Since the iPhone 5 16 GB model retails for $199, you should be good to go (you'll have to pay the sales tax and any carrier activation charges; in my case earlier this month, that was about $13 total).

Good luck! Be prepared to spend some time in line if you go this weekend, though.

6. iphone46 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!! I hope it won't be to crowded next weekend! I'm too busy to go till the last day of the promo