Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
If anyone has a quadro 4000 could they test out sketchbook pro and a wacom tablet. I still haven't got any answers back from autodesk.

Have you considered checking out a GT120 before spending a lot of money on a card that's otherwise overkill? Because if Sketchbook Pro runs satisfying on your girlfriends macbook then Sketchbook is probably not pushing the GPU a lot anyway? Then all this is more about a bug and 1200$ is quite a hitch to work around a bug that might be fixed next week through an update?

I think people here still mix up sketchbook with sketchup. This is not a 3D app. I run Sketchbook with a GT120 (10.6 though) and it runs smoothly. I see no lag at all unless I have videos running on the other monitor that card is connected to. I do black & white sketching only though. Dunno what other more demanding apps you may be running, but if you do, you could dedicate a monitor to sketching with a GT120?

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Have you considered checking out a GT120 before spending a lot of money on a card that's otherwise overkill? Because if Sketchbook Pro runs satisfying on your girlfriends macbook then Sketchbook is probably not pushing the GPU a lot anyway? Then all this is more about a bug and 1200$ is quite a hitch to work around a bug that might be fixed next week through an update?

I think people here still mix up sketchbook with sketchup. This is not a 3D app. I run Sketchbook with a GT120 (10.6 though) and it runs smoothly. I see no lag at all unless I have videos running on the other monitor that card is connected to. I do black & white sketching only though. Dunno what other more demanding apps you may be running, but if you do, you could dedicate a monitor to sketching with a GT120?

I haven't thought about that. Does the gt120 offer cuda? Would the gtx285 be a better card to buy than the gt? Is the gt120 faster than the 330Mgt thats in my girlfriends laptop running a 27" LED.

That would be awesome if the gt 120 works. I wouldn't mind using the second display for sketching. It would probably be a 24" Cinema.

Now I don't have much experience with dual cards. If I run the second monitor off the gt120 lets say and run a 27" off the 5870, When I open sketchbook then drag it onto the second monitor am I using only the 120? How does the program know its on a different card?

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
GT120 is slower than most offerings but it doesn't matter as you are only trying to test the ATI/ Nvidia thing. If you need more power (which you most likely will) you are not out so much cash. I think that was you39's point. A GT120 is a VERY slow card but it can handle a rotate.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
GT120 is slower than most offerings but it doesn't matter as you are only trying to test the ATI/ Nvidia thing. If you need more power (which you most likely will) you are not out so much cash. I think that was you39's point. A GT120 is a VERY slow card but it can handle a rotate.

I mean if it can do the rotation with out brush lag then I have solved my problem. I can use the 5870 for all other needs or what ever comes out in the future. I want to know if you39 was using a wacom tablet with the latest drivers. I am also running 10.7 and I want to stay on that system and not have to run snow leopard.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
If anyone has a quadro 4000 could they test out sketchbook pro and a wacom tablet. I still haven't got any answers back from autodesk.
Tested with MP 2.93 Quadro 4000 (latest CUDA) using Intous 3 6x9 tablet.
All I have time for is to play with brushes. No considerable lag but its not like real brushes on paper.
Just get one it will do you good ;)
There are ways of tricking an cheaper Nvidia cards but mostly for CUDA and Resolve.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
mbox.. Could you do a quick screen flow of the quadro doing what I posted? Also you39 could you do a quick video of the gt120? Thanks everyone for the help!

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
So another test guys hah. I have been running it on my second display thats a 24" Cinema. I don't get as bad of lag but it is still there. Its just when it gets on the 27" that I have the problem.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Still determined to get to the bottom of this.

Does anyone run sketchbook pro under bootcamp, 5870, and Wacom Intuos4?

Last edited:

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
You guys are probably sick of me by now ha. So I rolled back to Driver 6.1.5-2 for my wacom tablet and resized the sketchbook window to about half my screen and the problem went away. When I click on the green button and maximize the window the problem occurs.

Could it be that I need a ton of Vram for sketchbook to render at 2560x1600 or a workstation card?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Could it be that I need a ton of Vram for sketchbook to render at 2560x1600 or a workstation card?
In the past, Autodesk and Alias were notorious for strict resolution use of their tech.
Is there a specific size for Sketch? I know that Maya has limitations with display resolution.
Im surprised tech support didn't mention that to you.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
In the past, Autodesk and Alias were notorious for strict resolution use of their tech.
Is there a specific size for Sketch? I know that Maya has limitations with display resolution.
Im surprised tech support didn't mention that to you.

The program has run great on everything under 1920 1080. The autodesk website says that its needs to be 1024 by 768 or higher.

You mentioned that you are running a quadro 4000. What monitor are you using?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
You mentioned that you are running a quadro 4000. What monitor are you using?
Dual Cinema 30's. Now of course I didnt test it like you did.
I dont think I dont have the patience to deal with that kind of tech issues :(

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Dual Cinema 30's. Now of course I didnt test it like you did.
I dont think I dont have the patience to deal with that kind of tech issues :(

Well I'm just looking for no lag at full screen. I think you mentioned that you didn't get any lag.

When you tested it did you kinda do the same stuff I did in my video? Thanks for your help btw.

Im also interested in the 5870's performance with sketchbook under bootcamp. I get even worse performance on the windows side with my iMac.

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Im also interested in the 5870's performance with sketchbook under bootcamp. I get even worse performance on the windows side with my iMac.

John you pretty much keep confirming it is an Nvidia/ ATI issue. VRAM has very little to do with it after at least 512MB on card. If the Radeon you currently have runs worse in windows the 5870 will run better but still worse (if that makes sense). Why haven't you bought an Nvidia replacement card yet? If time is money.... You can always just return the Nvidia if it does not fix the issue. I'd easily pay a restock fee to get this figured out.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
John you pretty much keep confirming it is an Nvidia/ ATI issue. VRAM has very little to do with it after at least 512MB on card. If the Radeon you currently have runs worse in windows the 5870 will run better but still worse (if that makes sense). Why haven't you bought an Nvidia replacement card yet? If time is money.... You can always just return the Nvidia if it does not fix the issue. I'd easily pay a restock fee to get this figured out.

Well I have an iMac right now and I have tested on a 5870 and got the same performance even with 1 gig on Lion. I guess I can just pull the trigger on a mac pro with a quadro and see if it works. Could I run the quadro and 5870 on the same machine? I would probably need a splitter of some sort to get power to the both of them.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Well I'm going to just buy the Mac pro with the quadro from amazon. Does anyone know if the quadro comes with a power cable and an hdmi to mini dp?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.